is it necessary to teach other courses all in English?

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

ashlee sun

is it necessary to teach other courses all in English?

Post by ashlee sun » Sun May 14, 2006 3:34 am

hi, there!
I'm a Chinese college student major in education. I heard that students from other departments such as Economy, Philosopy, Physicis,ect, are having some of their major courses taught in English. It is true that these days Chinese are all crazy about English, but do you think it is necessary to teach other courses all in English? Do you think that it may be a waste of time sometimes since some students might not keep up with what the professor is talking about? :roll:

EILLEN LIN

Post by EILLEN LIN » Mon May 15, 2006 2:17 am

I think it is necessary for our Chinese students to learn other courses in English. I have two reasons to support it.First, due to the globalization of economy, our economists need to trade with English people.Second, there are some theories which are created by English people, we can only learn them originally in order to fully understand them. Am I right?:)

ashlee sun

Post by ashlee sun » Mon May 15, 2006 1:09 pm

Thank you, Eillen, for your kind reply! Yes, I agree with you. It's better if we could master two or more languages. And due to different methods of translating, we may have misunderstandings with the authors so it's better if we read the original books if you are intrested in. However, is it a must that students should have their major courses in English? T
hats means some of them have to work very hard with English after class, which may affect their learning of their major courses? What do you think?

EILLEN LIN

Post by EILLEN LIN » Tue May 16, 2006 7:04 am

It is true of what you have said. If it is a must , it will be a burden.Maybe we can make the courses which are taught in English selective for the students. Thus, some students who have the time and energy can get additional information about their courses and enjoy their study, other students learn the courses without burden and influence. Right?:D

ashlee sun

Post by ashlee sun » Tue May 16, 2006 10:26 am

Hi. Elieen, How are you? I agree with you. By the way, I would like to ask you--do you think that Chinese people have attached so many emphasis on English literacy instead of our mother language? As a college student, I think my Chinese is no better than high school years, instead, I think I need to improve a little bit on writing and public speaking skills. Besides, I have found, rather surprisingly, that I'm less interested in reading books! I have almost dropped my habit of reading literatures due to my tight school schedule. After having so many courses and books concerned with my major to read, what I want to do is just to go to sleep or watch some light-hearted TV series or movies...Do you or your friend have the same problems?

EILLEN LIN

Post by EILLEN LIN » Mon May 22, 2006 12:38 am

Hi, I'm fine. :D As an English major, I have the same problem with you, what's worse, is that mine is more serious than yours. After two years' of focusing on my major, I strongly found that my mother tongue is no better than English. I can't express myself clearly even in Chinese. What a pity for our Chinese. I know how to solve this problem, but I can't due to the same reason as you do-----that is I have no time even to sleep. How can I catch up a little bit with our Chinese literature? Let's not talk all about this unpleasant thing. I have a question, you English is very good, then what's your major? :)

ashlee sun

Post by ashlee sun » Mon May 22, 2006 12:43 pm

hi, eillen! sorry for the late reply! you have flattered me! i dont think my english is that good...but thank you anyway! and i think your english is very nice! :wink:
i absolutely agree with you. what i have been doing these years for english skill training are almost the same--vocabulary learning, mostly through intensive reading courses, listening, speaking...and of course, more courses concerning my major, such as translation, literature, teaching methodologies are available too, but i dont think i have benefitted much from, well, at least half of the courses. i think as an language, which is a part of liberal arts, english is acquired by the learner him/herself rather than taught by the teachers. its not like science, which may contain some more abstract principles that sometimes you just need someone who could point out a shortcut for you. what we need most is more time belongs to ourselves to digest what we have been taught and adjust our indivial learnings.
ps.as for me, my major is a combination of education and english...talk to you later!have a nice day!

EILLEN LIN

Post by EILLEN LIN » Tue May 23, 2006 5:43 am

Thanks for the compliment. :D
For this part "it's not like science, which may contain some more abstract principles that sometimes you just need someone who could point out a shortcut for you. what we need most is more time belongs to ourselves to digest what we have been taught and adjust our indivial learnings" , I partly agree with you. I have two reasons: one is that there are some rules in both English and English learning, so we do need someone to give us some directions and shortcut and guide us to the English learning world. The other is that we do need the students around us to share some information, learning skills and new discoveries with us, thus we may learn the things which will cost us one year's time to finish in a relative shorter time, and then we can spare time to do other things. In this case we can learn English effectively.

expert team C

Post by expert team C » Mon May 29, 2006 11:46 pm

Hello, we're students from Laval University, Canada, we are studying to become English teachers as a second language. We think that at the University level, having English classes in different areas of study such as philosophy or economy might be necessary in order to acquire the vocabulary related to those subjects. It will diversify and expand the knowledge of the language.

We are interesting in knowing if this is a rule for all Chineese Universities and if it is, since when?

Waiting for your answer.

Team C

spring in may

It is a waste of time to teach other courses in English

Post by spring in may » Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:15 am

Yes, I think it is really a waste of time to teach other courses in English. First, we must make it clear the purpose of the courese. I think one of the purpose it the understand the context of the courses. we know that some of the courses are very difficult to understand in Chinese. It is possible for the Chinese students to understand the difficult points in English? No, it's unneccessary and impossible.
Second, I don't think the teachers' vocabulary are large enough and correct enough. If the teachers are qualified, I still think the students are overwork to do the two tasks:1. to understand the contents in the course, 2, always look up in the dictioanry. Isn't it ridiculous?
Yes, I think many people are crazy in English in China. I think it is good for Chinese to learn English, but how can we learn and what to learn is a good point to think about.

Lottie

Learning through English

Post by Lottie » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:57 pm

In my personal experence, being able to use more than one language has been a wonderful and enlightening experience.

The point is, however, whether it is your choice, or whether it is a condition that has been enforced upon you.

In terms of human rights, a protocol recognised by the United Nations, we all have the right to be educated in our first language.

Therefore, an equitably just and advanced education system will provide you with both options.

:wink: Peace

Lottie