Good institutions for MA bilingual education (UK)?

<b> Forum for the discussion of all aspects of bilingual education </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

miggy_ad

Good institutions for MA bilingual education (UK)?

Post by miggy_ad » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:56 am

In the UK, what good MAs in bilingual education are there? Which institutions are regarded as offering the best quality education?

miggy_ad

nb

Post by miggy_ad » Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:58 am

Actually, add Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia tothat list too.

Lottie

In the UK

Post by Lottie » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:43 pm

Well, the UK is not 'hot' on bilingual education as in other commonwealth countries and the USA.

Our most famous Prof. would be Colin Baker. He holds a position at the University of Bangor. Wales has been quite successful in its approach. I recommend Birmingham or Leeds, if you are specifically interested in EAL education and aspects of L2 development.

If you are very interested in immersion education, then I think you would benefit a lot from studying in Canada - Lambert's work represented a real turning point. There are also many community and heritage language immersion programmes in Canada too.

New Zealand and Hawaii will also provide you with opportunities to see how Maori/English or Hawaiian/English heritage immersion programmes are progressing.

To develop an understanding of dual language programmes head to the USA.

Otherwise, I would seriously consider somewhere in Holland or Scandanavia, all of which have been very successful in terms of language education.

LOL Lottie :wink:

miggy_ad

Post by miggy_ad » Wed Jun 28, 2006 1:53 am

Most informative. Thank you!