children exams

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Michela

children exams

Post by Michela » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:58 pm

Hello everyone,
I am teaching English to children in Italy and I have nearly completed a TEYL course. My certification paper is going to deal with children testing systems and whether they are an effective tool or totally counter-productive. I am trying to get a few responses from teachers of young learners around the globe to see what they think.
In Italy there is a great variety of children tests but most schools tend to use Cambridge ones or in-house exam papers. From my experience I have realized that there are other ways of checking children's progress than a final scary exam (portfolios, projects, on-going assessment....) but apparently it's very hard to get rid of the traditional testing methods. I would like to teach children in a relaxed and fun atmosphere but often exam pressure is there to make lessons stressful and boring as well.
What's the situation in the country you are living? Do you reckon that children exams do them any good?
Thanks a lot to you all for your resposes and help.
Michela