Adult to Elementary School Transition

<b> Forum for elementary education ESL/EFL teachers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Bob Carter

Adult to Elementary School Transition

Post by Bob Carter » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:36 pm

I have 14 years of ESL teaching experience, primarily with academically bound young adult students. I am currently taking a temporary hiatus from the field as I explore new pathways in ESL. One area I have just begun to look into includes teaching opportunities in elementary, junior high and high school ESL. I have not taught in these contexts, and I am wondering whether anyone on this forum has ever made a transition into these age groups from adult-centered ESL classrooms. If so, what did you have to do to prepare yourself for this transition? How did you make yourself marketable as a teacher of children if your experience was previously with adults? What were some of the biggest challenges you faced in making this transition?

Bob Carter
Englewood, Colorado

Roger

Post by Roger » Sun Apr 27, 2003 12:45 am

I first taught college students, then moved on to teaching adults, and finally I found a job in a kindergarten.
THere certainly are notable differences!

FOr you I suppose class management is going to be the greatest challenge! It depends on the national context, of course, but in general, children all over the world rebel against schooling, and their interest may be affected if the subject is regarded as not immediately useful in their daily lives.
Adults usually pay for their schooling, which denotes an initial high motivation. They have their set ways which may or may not hinder their progress in accumulating the knowledge and skills you are trying to pass on. Kids on the other hand dread the lesson and look forward to the break. There may also be group dynamics at work that are in conflict with the learning purpose, such as bullying.
Adults may realise their own deficiencies and confront you with their questions. Kids tend to avoid asking questions.

Bob Carter

Elementary ESL Education

Post by Bob Carter » Mon May 05, 2003 2:31 am

Roger,

Thanks for your reply. When you made the transition to Elementary ESL, did you do any additional training, go back to school, etc. to prepare for it?

Bob Carter
Englewood, Colorado USA

Roger

Post by Roger » Mon May 05, 2003 8:35 am

No, my career spans eight years, all spent in the same country, China. You have to be a little flexible here.
Not that I did not wish for some continuous education to be on offer...
I think preschool teachers should familiarise themselves with the Montessori school of thought.
I have also tried the Rudolf Steiner School but met a brick wall of secrecy.