Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pronunciation pedagogy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tara B

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: pronunciation pedagogy Reply with quote

I am not as up on the literature as I should be, but it seems to me that the recent trends in teaching pronunciation lean a little too heavily on pronunciation through context. Although context is essential, I have found it more useful to teach pronunciation from a variety of angles, including:

1) listening skills--in and out of context
2) muscle building (exercises and tongue twisters)
3) articulation (articulatory awareness)
4) speaking skills--in and out of context
5) reading skills (phonics)

My experience is that most pronunciation programs are somewhat narrow. I would be interested to know if any of you have a book or program that you use that you really like. . .

I have been using a combination of Pronunciation Pairs (Baker & Goldstein), Pronunciation Matters (Henrichsen), and Realistically Speaking (Price). I just wish someone would put them all together in one book.
CEJ

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points all (and a very comprehensive approach you have outlined above). TEFL got locked into inadequate structuralist approaches to linguistics, applied linguistics, etc. Or pronunciation got relegated to 'accent reduction' for somewhat advanced students in ESL contexts (such as teaching assistants). So pronunciation often fails to get just treatment as applied phonology, which would make it integral to any holistic approach to TEFL/TESL/TESOL/ELT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: