A newbie asking a ? you've answered a million times already.

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Mohamed Saeed al-Sahhaf

A newbie asking a ? you've answered a million times already.

Post by Mohamed Saeed al-Sahhaf » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:28 am

Hello,

I am currently making preparations to give private ESL lessons from my home.

Can anyone give me any recommendations on a textbook with accompanying workbook?

I'm looking for a book with the understanding that some of my students may not exactly have a firm grasp on their native language, so I need a text that starts with the very basics, like the alphabet, and progresses from there. Also, I suspect that the majority of my students will be Spanish speaking, and my Spanish is weak. Therefore, I'll nedd a text and workbook that is conducive to teaching someone whose language I don't speak.

Also, any advice for a fledgling would be greatly appreciated.

If you're sick of answering the same questions over and over again, feel free to tell me to get lost. :)

Mohamed Saeed al-Sahhaf

Post by Mohamed Saeed al-Sahhaf » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:29 am

BTW...where's my sig? :?

Mohamed Saeed al-Sahhaf

Post by Mohamed Saeed al-Sahhaf » Mon Jun 09, 2003 7:12 am

Thank you. You've all been very helpful. :?

corey

Post by corey » Tue Jun 17, 2003 6:48 pm

New Interchange is the classic. They just added a bunch of goodies too. I like it.

Side by Side is OK for beginners, but adults think it's a little childish at advanced levels.

Macmillan just came into the game with (damn I forgot the name) - anyway STAY AWAY. It is a first edition and loaded with mistakes.

I hear good things about the Scott Foresman series.

Good luck