Some Input, Please

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Tayah

Some Input, Please

Post by Tayah » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:36 pm

I'm new to ESL, and truly excited at the opportunity put before me. However, I could use some suggestions on the following situation:

I have just been given the opportunity to teach a weekly class of 9-17 hispanic students, with a range in age from 9 - 35 years. I have two hours to reach everyone in the room. There are two young men (18-20) who are very disruptive, to the point where it's difficult for others to learn.

The person who is teaching now is young and eager, which works against her and the others in the class. My presence there is to hopefully bring focus into the class. I'm not sure how possible that's going to be with these two young men.

I will be talking with the person who enlisted my aide this evening about my options, including the ultimatium of having them removed. From what I understand, they have been talked to about their behavior a number of times, so I feel I must give them at least three strikes with me before "they're out."

Any comments, suggestions, on what my position should be in this situation? More tolerant or less? Don't the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one in this case?

Tayah

tanya

disruptive students in mixed aged group class

Post by tanya » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:49 pm

Tayah,

I would definately give those two young men an ultimatum.........either be respectful of you and the others in the class and allow learning to take place, or they will have to permanently be removed. Their behavior is not appropriate for a classroom, especially at their age, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I am curious though how it is that you wound up with a class of students in ages from 9 to 35! Aren't the children recieving ESL instruction in school? Are their parents also your students?

I would love to hear back from you and to see how you are doing. I too struggle with how to reach students that are on different levels but in the same class;however, the difference in my case is that they are generally of the same age. IE: I have a class of 9 second graders. One of them knows no English whatsoever. This poor girl has been in school since August and apparently hasn't even picked up the entire alphabet yet. I understand that the research says that it may take a year for her to even be ready to begin to learn, but obviously in a public school system where teachers and students are being evaluated all the time, that won't work......Her regular classroom teacher and I are puzzled and desperate. :?

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!

Tanya Hanna
Mesquite, Texas

Tayah

Re: disruptive students in mixed aged group class

Post by Tayah » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:23 pm

Hi Tanya,

I actually handle the problems two ways. The first thing I did was employed, "Divide and Conquer." I didn't want to separate them literally, but I did highlight the clear accomplishments of one over the other. When it was clear that I was cheerleading for one (the one who really wanted help, but was afraid to ask), the behavior of the other got worse (he didn't have a comrade anymore). To him, I gave the ultimatium. He remained silent, but after class said he wouldn't return. I expected this.
I had the ESL coordinator (she speaks Spanish), the young man and myself in a meeting after class. I explained to him that I was sorry that he wanted to leave, and that it was my desire for him to learn how to speak English, that for the other students in the room, this is an important class. Their jobs and their relationships with their children depended on understanding what was being said them, and responding accordingly. So it's my job to make sure that distractions are held down to minimum for the benefit of all.
Then I told him that as much as I want him in the classroom, I will respect his decision to leave, but if he stayed, I need him to be an example to the other students who were younger than him.
I could see the tears in his eyes. He apologized, shook my hand, and has been a great help - along with the other student - every since.

I'm as confused as you are about the ESL way. I find myself thinking about the movie, "The Miracle Worker" with Anne Bancroft, where finally, the light switch is turned on and the little girl gets it. WahWah!

I think that's what we've got here. Repetition and getting them involved in the teaching is the way to go. I rub their backs, I laugh with them, and I get them up in the front of the class to illustrate. You should have seen me during the "IN, ON and UNDER" class. It was hilarious, but I'm never quite sure if I'm getting across to the adults as well as the children. Since in this case, the adults are the parents of the children, I can only assume that whatever is taught is encouraged by the kids when they are home!
I do feel at a loss having so many different people in one room. We actually have a older man with no English whatsoever under his belt. I have to be very careful and respectful with him, so as to not embarass or overly confuse him.

I love doing this, but I'm so new at it, I'm looking at courses to take this summer to get more insight.

Tayah

tanya wrote:Tayah,

I would definately give those two young men an ultimatum.........either be respectful of you and the others in the class and allow learning to take place, or they will have to permanently be removed. Their behavior is not appropriate for a classroom, especially at their age, and they should be ashamed of themselves.

I am curious though how it is that you wound up with a class of students in ages from 9 to 35! Aren't the children recieving ESL instruction in school? Are their parents also your students?

I would love to hear back from you and to see how you are doing. I too struggle with how to reach students that are on different levels but in the same class;however, the difference in my case is that they are generally of the same age. IE: I have a class of 9 second graders. One of them knows no English whatsoever. This poor girl has been in school since August and apparently hasn't even picked up the entire alphabet yet. I understand that the research says that it may take a year for her to even be ready to begin to learn, but obviously in a public school system where teachers and students are being evaluated all the time, that won't work......Her regular classroom teacher and I are puzzled and desperate. :?

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks!

Tanya Hanna
Mesquite, Texas

tanya

responding to your letter from a while back

Post by tanya » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:17 am

Tayah,

I'm sorry I didn't respond to your email sooner, but I have been incerdibly busy with personal issues, work issues, and trying to get into grad school.

I hope things are going better in your class.

thanks for responding, and please feel free to write to me anytime, on any subject. I may not always get back to you right away, but I will do my best.

Thanks,

Tanya

Mesquite, Texas