Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Type Long and Short Vowel Symbols On MS Word

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RolandTrego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: How to Type Long and Short Vowel Symbols On MS Word Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to type the long and short sound symbols using Microsoft Word? For long sounds, I mean the straight line above the vowel. For short sounds, I mean the crescent-like symbol above the vowel. You can respond here or to rolandsf@pacbell.net. Thanks loads!
wjserson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland, I recently had to start doing this as part of my job..

Go to the top of the screen and drag down 'insert' and select 'symbol'.

On the upper right hand side, select your subset. I think you want one of the latin ones. Then you'll see tons of symbols you can attach to your vowels, including the long vowel and short vowel symbols.

The other option is to hold the -alt- button while you press 1-3-0 on your number pad and see what comes up. 130 to 160 are different vowel pronunciations but I'm not sure the symbols your looking for are here. Better to go with my first suggestion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: