what is the difference between stress and intonation?

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

davidc

what is the difference between stress and intonation?

Post by davidc » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:30 pm

This question has me absolutely stumped. Im trying to create a TEFL glossary of terms, and distinguishing between stress and intonation is proving impossible.

It seems that most sources include pitch changes, aspiration and syllable length in the definitions of both terms. Can anyone help me with this??

Norm Ryder

Stress and intonation

Post by Norm Ryder » Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:17 am

David
This is the definition of intonation given in The Oxford Dictionary of English Grammar:
"Phonetics: The pitch variations and patterns in spoken language.
The total meaning of a spoken utterance derives not only from the actual words and patterns of STRESS, but also from the PITCH patterns used (the rises and falls in pitch). Intonation is concerned with the operation of such patterns over sequences of words (TONE UNITS). It is not easy to categorise, but a number of typical intonation patterns have been identified.

Intonation plays a part in speech not unlike pucntiation in the written language. ..... It also has an important function in conveying attitude."

David, the words in upper case refer to other entries in the dictionary, and if you don't have access to it, I can give you any of those as well. I've also left out the examples of how intonation functions like punctuation.

Hope this gives you a good start.

Norm

EH

Post by EH » Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:51 pm

This is just my own definition. I'm not quoting a published source, so take this with a grain of salt.

Stress: shown in English through raised pitch, lengthened syllable duration, pauses before/after the stress, and often facial expressions or gestures as well. A speaker can stress a syllable, word, or group of words.

Intonation: refers to pitch, syllable length, and pause contours throughout utterances and to the general speech patterns of a speaker.

I see stress as being more specific ("He stressed that word"), and intonation as being more general ("His intonation is a little weird").

But that's just my take on it.

Good luck!

Norm Ryder

Intonation and Stress

Post by Norm Ryder » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:35 am

EH

I like your word "contour". The Dictionary also adds "greater force" or "energy" to the words you offered to describe "stress".

And apologies for the sloppy proofreading, david, that let through that horrible spelling of punctuation!
Cheers.
Norm.