Publishing Children`s ESL Music

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

d.

Publishing Children`s ESL Music

Post by d. » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:39 am

Hi,
I am wondering if there is anyone out there who is familiar with how to get children`s esl music published. I have been writing my own songs for a few years because there is very little music that teaches useful language for young students. I can not figure out what the appropriate avenue is for getting my music heard.
If it helps I am based in Japan. I have looked at JALT but I think I would need to start my own publishing company before getting a showing at their conference, and I do not have the time for that this year.
I have also looked for agents on the web, but it is not easy to find the right sort of agent on the web.
Thanks for any help.
Damon

emile

Post by emile » Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:30 am

D,

I'm pretty sure most publishers would want a book to go along with the music. If you can show them a book + songs (audio) they may be very interested. I suggest that you go to an ESL/EFL conference, where the publishers like Longman etc. always set up a stall, and enquire there. It's worked for me, before.

Another idea is to set up a website and post your songs. Or maybe you could charge a dollar to download a song.

Also, my company requires children's songs for our multimedia CDs from time to time. Maybe we could buy some from you? Or if you have the words but not the audio, maybe we could record them for you in exchange for the rights to use the songs in our materials. Just a thought, but contact me at emile.at.gmail.com if you are interested.

d.

Post by d. » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:48 am

Thanks for the reply Emile, I will contact you shortly.

I have a few follow-up questions, now.

Some of my songs could be adapted very effectively to print or video so I am wondering now if I were to approach a publisher how far along should the product be? Should I go find someone to illustrate? or would rudimentary concept sketches be sufficient? If I need to find someone to illustrate, how (lump sum, percentage of royalties) and how much should they be paid?

I had thought of setting up a website to distribute my music independantly, but I wanted to look into other avenues first.

Damon

emile

Post by emile » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:39 am

Hi Damon,

Publishing companies will have someone to do illustrations for you. I have heard people say that you need not finish a work to submit it to a publisher, but a few chapters will do. Also, I know that some publishers use an application form that you fill in with your concept.

I do think that as you are thinking in terms of music and videos that you should try to at least have the sound recorded. I guess that the videos would require puppets and things like that? That would be a lot more expensive to come up with a professional-looking sample.

I hope this helps. Please don't take me to be an expert in this field, but I have had a book and many articles published - that's the limit of my experience.

d.

Post by d. » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:40 am

Thanks again,
Every little bit of information helps, even if it doesn`t come from an expert. I have no experience in these matters to draw on so I really appreciate your help. I have the music recorded, although not professionally. I will probably try going to the big JALT conference in October with a few cd`s and some outlines and drawings of what I would like to do with the material.
PS I tried your e-mail but couldn`t get it to work.
Damon

emile

Post by emile » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:44 pm

sorry, it's emiledodds.at.gmail.com (replace the at with @). got it mixed up with my other email address. :oops:

buuun1

Post by buuun1 » Mon May 15, 2006 9:38 pm

lets try us :) :) :)