Does Anybody Know What This Means?

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

webchicken

Does Anybody Know What This Means?

Post by webchicken » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:04 pm

Hi, I am a bookworm in Korea and I am currently reading a book called 'The Devil Wears Prada.' There were some things I couldn't make out, so I was wondering if anybody could help me.

OK, question #1. The main character of this novel, Andrea, calls this secretary, and the secretary puts her on hold for the boss. According to the text,

Before I could protest, I was listening to the elevator version of "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin.

So, my question is, what on earth is an elevator version?

And, question #2. Andrea goes through the mail that her boss receives. Nearly all of them are flattering, but if she finds a few that criticize her boss, she keeps them. Ok, here is the text:

I tucked that one in my bag for later- my collection of critical letters and postcards were growing, and soon there wasn't going to be any fridge space left.

I'd really appreciate it if anybody told me what fridge space is. I have no idea, I searched the Internet, and all I came across were ads for refrigerators.

If anybody knows what I don't know, please tell me!! Thanks! :D

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:58 pm

The 'elevator version' will probably be similar to muzak/Muzak (TM) - could drive you crazy if you were in an irritable mood and/or preferred the original version.

As for 'fridge space', there is a metaphor that 'MAIL CRITICAL OF YOUR BOSS IS A TASTY SNACK (that you can "save for later"=savour and enjoy (again*) at your leisure, when you have more time to do so)' at work here. More generally, GOSSIP IS DELICIOUS FOOD (for those who like it!), so the metaphors include some "foody" vocabulary (italicized in my post here).

So, extending the metaphor, just as a fridge can only hold so many snacks, so also can her bag only hold so many "snacks" (letters).

Andrea is building up quite a collection of juicy tidbits and tasty morsels there!

*Obviously food can only be eaten the once, but letters and postcards can be read and re-read.

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:16 pm

I think "fridge space" refers to her (I am assuming) putting the letters on her fridge. Like a parent who puts his or her child's drawings on the fridge with magnets.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:38 pm

Ooh, yeah, that's probably it, Josh! The simplest answer escaped me entirely! (Brain went off at strange tangent, that happens often with me!).:D

But as Andrea's 'saving it for later', the letter is a kind of juicy morsel still. :P

webchicken

Post by webchicken » Sun Jul 17, 2005 3:28 am

oohh I see... Thanks, guys!
I really appreciate the help.
Fridge space was really interesting... :D

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:13 am

Don't know if you guys have heard of people at unis in Japan being forced out of their jobs for being (allegedly) 'out of touch' with their home culture (real reason is just that the uni just wants younger, sexier lecturers), but in my case, if I were working at a uni, maybe I'd deserve to be fired! :lol: I mean, what a "conspiracy theory" I hatched there (including metaphors, headless chickens, mutant turkeys), all because I'd forgotten what a fridge door is often used for and usually looks like back in homes in the UK (in Japan at the mo', and single still). :o

pikawicca

Post by pikawicca » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:17 pm

"my collection of critical letters and postcards WERE growing" ACK! Was this error really in a published book? Should we just give up?

I like fluffyhamster's metaphor explanation "fridge space". If I'm running out of room INSIDE my refrigerator, I'll say that I'm running out of fridge space. However, if my kids' pics are taking up all available posting surface on the outside, I'd probably say that I'm running out of space on the fridge door.

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:01 pm

Nooo, not that metaphor again! I think it should be left in cold storage! :lol:

Interesting point pikawicca about the accuracy of 'fridge space', when what the writer wants us to understand is 'space on the fridge door', but then the exact meaning would probably pass most people by as they proceeded to devour what came next in the book. :D

There have been quite a few threads about SV agreement on the AL forum. I suppose the two plural -s, and the 'and' itself shortcircuit the brain and lead us to often produce the "easiest" form, rather than holding 'collection' in mind and exhaustively checking off all the grammar boxes at the appropriate 'end' point in production; and receptively, I didn't really notice the "error" until you pointed it out. :P