Overtime pay

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

nbnit1

Overtime pay

Post by nbnit1 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:15 am

Ningbo Institute of Technology of Zhejiang University in Ningbo, China owes me RMB3500 (about US$400) of overtime pay.

The normal practice is to pay RMB150 per teaching hour for "large class" and RMB100 for "small class".

Even though it was not written in the contract, it was promised to me verbally by the School of Foreign Languages. Indeed for the months of March, April and May, the overtime payment was properly made.

Then at the end of the semester in June, I discovered they had not made overtime payment for the month of June, and they had denied making the verbal promise. The leadership of NIT (the VP) always says he is "too busy".

I am tired of being abused and I have decided to take the case to the Ningbo's arbitration body. If I lose in Ningbo, I will take the case to China's central government arbitration body.

I would like to question the integrity and trustworthiness of Chinese higher education institutes, and beyond that, the integrity of the legal framework in China.

Anyone who plans to work in China as an ESL teacher should never trust any verbal promise. If you feel that you have been cheated, be of courage to take the case to the "Foreign Affairs Office" of your "Municipal People's Government" for arbitration. If you lose the case, send the case to Beijing. You have nothing to lose, and lots to gain, if only to shame those higher education institutes.

If you work for a "training school" e.g. English First, try your luck with the Foreign Affairs Office of your Municipal People's Government.