Teaching maths in China

<b> Forum for ESL/EFL teachers working with secondary school students </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

kaylene

Teaching maths in China

Post by kaylene » Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:27 am

Hi, I've been offered a job teaching maths in China. I'm just after any information/advice and someone suggested I try a posting here. I haven't definitely accepted the job yet as I'm still trying to figure out if it's a good idea or not. I'd especially love to hear from anyone who's had experience teaching a subject like maths in english in china. Thanks

Roger

Post by Roger » Fri Jul 18, 2003 2:33 pm

I am not sure that you will receive an answer to your query. Fact is that most schools only use Chinese as a medium of instruction. Few Chinese excel at English to the required level of proficiency that they can process information in a foreign tongue.
What I can say here is that I have come across kindergarten maths classes. There is no logical thinking involved in maths teaching here; it is rote learning like any other subject.
I did do some maths with preschoolers, and was amazed at how quickly they can master simple operations in English.
When doing the same with older students or even adults, their sluggishness was almost unbearable. They had two problems: Slowness due to having to translate in two ways, with the inevitable result of many mistranslations; and inability to differentiate between the teens and 'tys.
May my little reply help you gauge the Chinese maths scene!

kaylene

oh well

Post by kaylene » Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:40 am

oh well, it can't hurt to ask.

i myself have doubts about how the teaching in english will go. the students are all supposed to have a certain level of proficiency but i've learned from working with chinese students in australia that that doesn't mean much. these kids have to learn to understand at least written english/maths becasue they will be sitting all their exams and assignments in english. the point is that they graduate with an OP (what students in queensland get).

anyway, thanks for the advice