websites

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

leah333

websites

Post by leah333 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:56 pm

Does anybody know any good interactive websites to use with esl students?

I have found a couple, but I am looking to reinforce my teaching with the computer.

Thanks

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:08 pm

There are thousands of sites. I'll give you the link to mine (hah hah--unabashed advertisement!) http://fog.ccsf.edu/~lfried

I've got some things on it that are geared for adults. You can click on the "Links" square and find some other sites I think are good, that my students visit. Then you can go to the "Links" on all of those and find more links. Or you can just google. "ESL activities" or whatever.

takoman

English Trailers

Post by takoman » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:06 pm

I've got a site you might like called English Trailers where students can study using movie trailers. I just finished upgrading the site giving it a nice new look, adding a bunch of new trailers plus some new communicative activities. One cool feature of the site is that it can record students' scores for cloze and quiz activities letting teachers keep track of their students' performance. To take advantage of all the features, users need to create a free username.

The site is completely FREE and there are no advertisements!

The URL for English Trailers is: http://www.english-trailers.com.

Hope you like it,
Andy Johnson

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:47 pm

Looks like fun Andy. Mind if I put it on my "Links" page?

Lorikeet

dave101

funny English mistakes quizzes (and animated chat robots)

Post by dave101 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:05 pm

Hey... Like someone said there are thousands of good online sites.

What I like about the one I visited today is it has some quizzes that are funny, but also I think helpful for students. In your case, it might be a fun, gentle first introduction to CALL interactive quizzes, etc.

Oh- it also has on line A.I. chat programs. They have animation- moving mouth and face and eyes, and also speech. Cool.
www.innocentEnglish.com

english-test.net

interactive english websites

Post by english-test.net » Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:14 pm

This one might be useful too:
www.english-test.net

emile

Post by emile » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:41 am

Can I throw my site into the mix?

www.roadtogrammar.com

It's good for homework practice or just for general grammar practice.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:46 pm

emile wrote:Can I throw my site into the mix?

www.roadtogrammar.com

It's good for homework practice or just for general grammar practice.
Mind if I add your site to the links on mine? Glad to see someone else using Flash. I think it's very suitable for ESL quizzes. By the way, the only thing I noticed is that it would be convenient to have a "home" button on each page in case the student doesn't want to finish the particular test. Since you can't use the back button, there is no other way to get back to the home page if you don't finish, other than to leave and reopen.

emile

Post by emile » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:22 am

Mind if I add your site to the links on mine?
sure and thanks, I'm hoping to get as many hits as possible
Glad to see someone else using Flash.
It's a bugger to learn, but it's worth it. At work, where we have a team of programmers, we've developed some really great stuff in Flash. My site is extremely basic compared to the commercial projects I'm working on, but I'm slowly getting to be a decent programmer even though my role is design.
it would be convenient to have a "home" button on each page
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still adding quizzes until I have 365, and then I'm going to address these issues.

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Thu Nov 17, 2005 3:10 pm

While we're lucky enough to have a thread that asks for this. Here's mine.

www.marks-english-school.com/games.html

I have some beginner level FLASH games and children's FLASH programs for phonics and FLASH vocabulary builders on this page. I hope to make more but there are only so many hours in the day.

To Emily - Your page is great but is so small in my browser that I can't see any of the text. Would you be opposed to someone linking to the index.swf file? Then the Flash file comes up full screen.

Takoman - That's a great site for students to practice on, especially for those that like movies. I'll definately be linking to you and passing on the word.

One question: Your site has a definate look that I've seen somewhere else (buttons and fonts.) Do you design any other web sites?

Paul Rogers

Pumarosa.com - free bilingual interactive web site-

Post by Paul Rogers » Wed Nov 23, 2005 6:39 pm

I am the author and voice of Pumarosa.com, a very effective and free web site for Spanish speakers.
I have recently begun working with several community service organizations in Southern California to write grants to set up mobile computer labs that will offer computer literacy training, along with ESL
literacy (Pumarosa.com), Spanish language literacy and citizenship programs. The focus of the program will be on low-income Latino families, especially in rural areas. Non-Spanish speaking families will also be
served.
At this time, I am very interested in communicating with anyone who would like more information or who is willing to share information.
Paul Rogers
[email protected]

dvasas

Post by dvasas » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:03 am

All these sites are in English only, wouldn't it be better to have multiple languages?

www.englishquest.com.tw

Good ESL Website for Children www.englishquest.com.tw

Post by www.englishquest.com.tw » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:38 am

Check out www.englishquest.com.tw . There you will find FREE spelling and phonics games and lessons for children. The site presents material in BOTH English and Traditional Chinese. Click on the 'English' button to view the site in English. Again, the registration and access are FREE.

Spelling Quest allows children to create their own spelling tests and practice in a fun way and also allows 2 children to play a spelling game.

Beginner Phonics teaches the sounds of all the alphabet letters and introduces vocabulary words. Assessments are in game format and are entertaining for young users.

Give it a try!
Daniel

dvasas

Re: websites

Post by dvasas » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:39 pm

leah333 wrote:Does anybody know any good interactive websites to use with esl students?

I have found a couple, but I am looking to reinforce my teaching with the computer.

Thanks
Which ones have you been using?

Zailawati Abdul Wahab

more website

Post by Zailawati Abdul Wahab » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:23 am

Hi dvasas,

There are many websites that offer interactive activities. Most of the language learning websites offer activities, which cover all the four skills. But activities for grammar are the best. I regularly used these websites with my students.

www.grammarstation.com
www.daveeslcafe.com
www.englishlearner.com