Managing Multiple Levels of ESL students in one class

<b> Forum for Academic Directors and Academic Coordinators </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Would you prefer to have control over enrollment or let "superiors" manage your class enrollment?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:02 pm

Under Certain Circumstances (elaborate please)
50%
No, I like to focus on teaching
50%

Total votes: 2

Kali

Managing Multiple Levels of ESL students in one class

Post by Kali » Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:02 pm

I teach in a setting where I have multiple levels of students (Advanced, Beginner and a High Beginner with LD issues) all doing different activities in 45 minute periods of time.

Because I am mandated to assess and use certain materials, I must prepare at least 3 different lessons for these groups.

Is there anyone who can provide advice about how to keep it all organized and keep my job and morale from going down the tubes. I am nearing my wit's end and I am a teacher with over 10 years of experience.

HELP!

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:05 pm

I too would like to know what to do in a multiple level classroom.

I once tried to teach a class like this and it was good for a little while. I soon found that it is a dynamic that works only with moderation. You can put high and low level together to do some tutoring and teaching, but then each person needs to also spend time working with people at their own level.

Marcethebest

Post by Marcethebest » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:15 pm

joshua2004 wrote:I too would like to know what to do in a multiple level classroom.

I once tried to teach a class like this and it was good for a little while. I soon found that it is a dynamic that works only with moderation. You can put high and low level together to do some tutoring and teaching, but then each person needs to also spend time working with people at their own level.
I agree. It is difficult to deal with a multi level class, but we have to do it anyways all the time, yes?

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:23 pm

I have the pleasure of teaching students who are really at the same level. The school I am at has a really effective way of structuring the classes which leads to a very homogenous language level of the students. I teach in a middle school, and all the classes are grouped by English ability. Students take a 2 hour placement exam and an interview before they begin school with us. This places the student in one of five levels. The students stay together all day and the teachers move from room to room. We have 42 min periods with 3 minute breaks between. There are also two recesses, one 20 min and the other 13 min.

Marcethebest

Post by Marcethebest » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:17 pm

joshua2004 wrote:I have the pleasure of teaching students who are really at the same level. The school I am at has a really effective way of structuring the classes which leads to a very homogenous language level of the students. I teach in a middle school, and all the classes are grouped by English ability. Students take a 2 hour placement exam and an interview before they begin school with us. This places the student in one of five levels. The students stay together all day and the teachers move from room to room. We have 42 min periods with 3 minute breaks between. There are also two recesses, one 20 min and the other 13 min.
I understand what you mean, Joshua, but let's be real, that's not what happens most of the times, mainly in Latin American countries, right?
by the way, is that a private school? Are you in Mexico now? I have a Mexican friend who is a teacher of English in Guadalajara and she says she has a bad time teaching because she has large classes, students lack motivation, they don't study, etc, just the same that happens here in Argentina.
My kindest regards,...

joshua2004

Post by joshua2004 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:36 pm

I agree, I don't think it happens a lot. I feel lucky. I am at a private school, ITESM (Tec de Monterrey).

Marcethebest

Post by Marcethebest » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:28 am

joshua2004 wrote:I agree, I don't think it happens a lot. I feel lucky. I am at a private school, ITESM (Tec de Monterrey).
I wish I worked at a place like that, Joshua! ... :(

Superhal

Post by Superhal » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:38 am

yes, placement procedures have to be valid and reliable.

bluerose

hello

Post by bluerose » Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:10 pm

hello , this is my first comment. I am a new member of htis site. I am an English teacher in Turkey and also my students are from different levels. I have beginners even at 8th grade classes but, my biggest problem is it is difficult to motivate and manage them. I prepare flashcards, games, enjoyable activities, let them watch video but, they are effective for a short time. They work outside after the school and most of them are not interested in school and notes. What can you offer me to manage these kinds of classes. My 4th classes are great, their age is 10 and they are really eager to learn but older ones are not.

jillford64

Post by jillford64 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:22 am

I know I'm responding to a very old thread, but just in case anyone is still interested here are two good books on teaching multilevel classes:

Teaching Large Multilevel Classes by Natalie Hess

Teaching Multilevel Classes in ESL by Jill Bell

Eric18

Use flexible materials that work for all levels

Post by Eric18 » Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 am

Sometimes we feel so compassionate for weaker students that we neglect the needs of stronger students in multilevel classes. Avoid that "good mistake"!

Instead, use or create or modify materials so you all students can benefit. You can expose the weaker students to new words while giving stronger students a chance to teach and review material with lower students. Likewise, you want to make sure everyone leaves with some practical knowledge that they didn't know when they entered your room that day.

When in doubt, use higher print materials - but supplement with picture dictionaries. Throw in two or three proverbs, idioms, or quotations so everybody feels included in the collecting of new vocabulary and expressions.