TEFL methodology books

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

megank

TEFL methodology books

Post by megank » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:51 pm

I am just starting out in the TEFL field (this next year I will be teaching university students in Belgium) and am looking for recommendations for a TEFL methodology book. I have some linguistics background and tutoring experience but this is my first time with my own classroom. I'm looking for something that discusses basic language teaching skills and techniques in an easy-to-use and easy-to-understand format. I've found Teach Yourself Teaching English by David Riddell and The Practice of English Language Teaching by Jeremy Harmer... anybody used these? Any recommendations or suggestions welcome, thanks!!!

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:19 pm

You might like to take a look at the TESOL catalog.

http://www.tesol.org/pubs/catalog/index.html

Adam Simpson

Post by Adam Simpson » Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:50 pm

Another 'classic' is learning teaching by Jim Scrivener :P

Maltezer

Conversation

Post by Maltezer » Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:59 am

Hi

This may be too late for you - I haven't logged in to the cafe for ages - but I like the book Conversation by R Nolasco and L Arthur. It's one of the teacher development series by OUP. There's a lot of making your own materials particularly with video clips (bits of soap operas from the TV for example) but you might find it useful in other ways. Any university that has an applied linguistics or tefl course should have a copy that you could look at first.