How to differ /l/ /n/ and /r/?

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

ningdoes

How to differ /l/ /n/ and /r/?

Post by ningdoes » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:19 pm

I have some students who are from the South of China. When they read some words such as "lead" , it sounds like "need", and the same thing happened to /r/ sound. What can I do to solve this? Thank you very much.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:44 pm

I have only seen the /n/ /l/ confusion with Cantonese speakers, but it may exist somewhere else too! I try to make them conscious of using their nose for the /n/, and see if they can block the air coming out so it doesn't sound nasal. I'd love to know if anyone has found any "tricks." As for the /r/ and the /l/, see if anything in these threads will help:

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/teacher/v ... .php?t=791

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/teacher/v ... php?t=1257

ningdoes

thank you

Post by ningdoes » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:36 pm

I've visited there, and I found they were practical. I will wait and see if they will work with my students.
Thank you for your kindness.

FangWB

Re: How to differ /l/ /n/ and /r/?

Post by FangWB » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:07 pm

ningdoes wrote:I have some students who are from the South of China. When they read some words such as "lead" , it sounds like "need", and the same thing happened to /r/ sound. What can I do to solve this? Thank you very much.
I am originally from southwest of China. It is true that people from south have difficulty distinguish the diffenrence between /n/ and /l/. They both sound the same to the southerners. They normally pronunce both sounds as /l/. Therefore, /n/ is the only sound that they need to work on. To make the sound of /n/, I asked them to pinch their noses, put their tongues behind top teeth and slowly said the sound.

For the sound of /r/, most of them are not able to pronuce correctly simply because they never need to roll their tongues to make the /er/ sound as beijinger's do. The closest sounds to /r/ found in their southern dialect are /er/ as in 'er zi' which means son and 'er duo' which means ear. You may start from these words in Chinese and show them the tongue position and eventually add the /r/ sound in it.

Hope this helps.

CEJ

Post by CEJ » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:58 pm

In terms of articulation, many /l/, /n/ and /r/ sounds are somewhat similar. In English, /l/ and /r/ have acoustic profiles that can cause perception issues. Although a phonemic approach is attractive in its simplicity (contrast the three, perhaps two at a time), it is ultimately self-defeating because of the phonetic complexity around each of these sounds in real English. Again, I find dealing with each sound in three main positions, at the beginning, in the middle, and at the end of words, is helpful. English /n/ has a lot more going on positionally though, and requires more work.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:11 pm

CEJ, would you mind explaining more about /n/?

CEJ

Post by CEJ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:18 pm

Lorikeet wrote:CEJ, would you mind explaining more about /n/?
One typical example would be compare and contrast [n] in 'not' vs. [n] in 'incapacitated'. So phonetically speaking common variations of /n/ overlap with the nasal velar sound at the end of words like 'ring', 'sing'.
Sound recordings reveal native speakers typically move the [n] sound back toward the velum when saying words like 'incapacitated' even though they are not aware they do this.

Morphophonemically speaking, /n/ overlaps with /m/: 'intolerant' but 'immoderate' but also 'inconsiderate'. Now, is the [m] of im- an allophone of /n/? If it isn't, why is a nasal velar in 'inconsiderate' an allophone, but an [m] not? Again, the inadequacies of a phonemic account of phonology.

ningdoes

Thank you!

Post by ningdoes » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:21 am

Thanks for your great ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mouseneb

Post by Mouseneb » Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:57 am

Hi all, I have a student from Sichuan who can hear the difference between /l/ and /n/ but pronounces both sounds as /n/. I gave her a Mandarin example using /l/ (&#20102;) but she pronounced it as "ne" instead of "le." Her classmates laughed at her at that point, so I switched strategies and tried to think about how I pronounce /l/ vs. /n/ and decided I usually roll the tip of my tongue back for /l/ but not for /n/. I drew her a little diagram of the tongue positioning, and somehow this girl managed to put her tongue in the rolled back position and still say /n/! Have you got any other strategies for me to try out? Perhaps I'm not realising I'm doing something else critical to produce the /l/ sound vs. the /n/.

eslweb

I had the same trouble...

Post by eslweb » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:10 am

Finger models of the mouth help, but I've actually just finished writing a bit of software to help with these problems... It was initially a little Flash file on my Website, but it's now a fully fledged bit of software that helps students listen for the differences in difficult phonemes. My Japanese student has been testing it and she says that she can now hear a difference between r and l...
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/beginner/Pronunciation.html You can use the flash directly off the site or download the executable.

Luke Zimmermann

Post by Luke Zimmermann » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:12 am

I always use hand-movements to explain the difference between l and n. One hand represents the tongue and the pointer and thumb of the other hand represent the top and bottom teeth. With both sounds the tip of the tongue touches the back of the top teeth, but with the l, the sides of the tongue are dropped. (This is why l is called a lateral sound.) The air flows out over the sides of the tongue.

Since the n is a nasal sound, the air flow in the mouth is completely blocked. The tongue seals off the roof of the mouth and the air comes out through the nose. (Goodness, this stuff is hard to explain in words)

Students need to see this. You can see pictures of it in books like Tree or Three, Ship or Sheep and Pronunciation Pairs, but the hand movements are more effective. Once they see the difference, they must feel the difference and practise until it feels comfortable.

The follow-up is most important. Once you have practised this in minimal pairs, never let your students get away with mixing these sounds up again. For the next month at least you will have to remind them when they confuse the sounds, when reading aloud or speaking freely. To change the habit takes time.

eslweb

L and N now on Pronunciation Page

Post by eslweb » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:12 pm

You'll be pleased to hear that I've now added L and N to the pronunciation page with it's own little Flash game to help practice the sounds.
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/beginner/Pronunciation.html

I hope that saves some teachers repeating it 50 times a day!

toogoodtobetrue

middle east

Post by toogoodtobetrue » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:08 am

my students cannot pronounce p or j they sound like ba so they might say phonetically I bark my car, I am looking for a bab (job). Middle east. Haven't found the best way to correct this yet.

eslweb

Post by eslweb » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:11 am

Make up or find a little poem or verse with those sounds in and encourage them. It's good to do plenty of drilling and then if you have it, get them to record their voices and playback until they get it. But please remember it takes a lot of patience to correct these things and little and often is the way to go.

My Japanese student took the best part of a month to hear the difference and another month or so to be able to say it differently and that was with a lot of practice. (Which is why I created that little app in the first place, because my voice was going sore repeating it so many times.)

Lorikeet

Re: middle east

Post by Lorikeet » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:48 am

toogoodtobetrue wrote:my students cannot pronounce p or j they sound like ba so they might say phonetically I bark my car, I am looking for a bab (job). Middle east. Haven't found the best way to correct this yet.
I haven't taught too many Middle Eastern students. I have never heard of j sounding like b. One way to make the p instead of a b is to get them to put the puff of air when the p is in initial position. I used to hang a paper over my mouth and say "pen" and they could see the paper move. I know teachers who used to do that with a match, but that was before everyone stopped smoking ;)