New to ESL - how do I get started?

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

jamieldavidson

New to ESL - how do I get started?

Post by jamieldavidson » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:52 pm

Hello, This is an awesome website. I hope someone can help me. I feel totally overwhelmed when I try to figure out what to do first. I have a bachelor's in psychology and experience working with youth. I have never taught anything. I want to be certified to teach English abroad, mostly so that I can change locations each year, travel and be immersed in different cultures. What kind of certification do I need, or how would I figure that out? How do I decide how to get that certification? Is there anything else I should be considering and researching? I just really need some direction! Please Help!

EthelMertz

Post by EthelMertz » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:29 am

I know this is a very old post, but I will answer anyway.

Many people just get a TESOL or TESL certificate and go overseas. That shouldn't be too difficult as I think it is a total of 6 classes, or 18 credits. Check with your local Univ.

However, my personal opinion, is that you should look at a school that has an MA program as well. You can always come back and finish your MA (usually 36-39 total credits, and if you have already done 18, it can be applied to the total.)

I have an MA in TESOL and the certificate was embedded in the program. I still have it around somewhere, but it didn't matter because I got the MA.