Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Student level-Flesch-Kincaid level correlation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Material Writing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charles Martel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Student level-Flesch-Kincaid level correlation? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about or experience with correlating reading passage Flesch-Kincaid levels with student levels?

In other words, a reading passage designed for high-beginner, intermediate or high-intermediate level students should ideally be at what F-K level?
emile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Charles,

I've played around with the concept of correlating the F-K levels to materials I have written for reading comprehensions. Also, I have developed a writing-checker computer program that takes readability into account when grading business writing.

Basically, at high-intermediate or advanced, they should be able to tackle any commonly found text although possibly with some difficulty. A very low F-K level would be suitable for high-beginners, but I'm not sure where I would draw the line.

The main issue that I found was that Flesch-Kincaid mainly looks at length of words, sentences and so on. In English, some of the trickiest words can be the short ones: gotta get with it, for example would confuse learners even though it is a simple sentence.

Also, if you're using the readability stats on Word, I've heard that they are not that reliable.

my site: www.roadtogrammar.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Material Writing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: