Teacher guide for 0-level students

<b>Forum for teachers working with refugees </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

stromfi

Post by stromfi » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:19 pm

Have you tried doing some search on the internet with key words such as "Family Literacy", "Adult Bacic Education", "SABES"? I am sure you will find something useful. Here in Massachusetts, the Departmet of Education has also developed a curriculum framework to provide guidence to programs and educators that work with the kind of student population you mentioned. I am also sure that such a framework is not unique to Massachusetts, since Family Literacy and Adult Basic Education porgrams run nation-wide. If you work in a program that is state funded, ask your program director about these guidelines.

kresearch

thanks for the input...looking for more!

Post by kresearch » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:37 pm

Thanks stromfi!

I know there are a number of programs across the country that work with these students, and utilize curricula they have developed based on experience, cultures, ages, etc. However, I don't believe there is a single book/guide out there that has been published that takes the guesswork/planning work/syllabus work (for the most part) out of working with this population. Everyone is pulling from here and there trying to put together the "book" that doesn't exist. The local chapters of family and other literacy programs here have curricula made up of a liitle of this, a little of that, a worksheet here, a page or 2 there...you get the idea...and every program has a different idea of the order of information presentation, the most appropriate materials, etc.
so, I'm still stuck...and looking for more responses...thanks!

stromfi

Post by stromfi » Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:15 am

I have just accepted a position in a family literacy program myself, so I will be also interested to see what advice, suggestions, recommendations others will come up with. In the meantime, however, I will just sit down and write my own materials as I've always done. It is time consuming and not paid, but maybe one day I can put together "The Book" you were refering to. :wink:

stromfi

Post by stromfi » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:41 am

Hi Kresearch,

Here's a website you might find useful: http://www.newreaderspress.com/index_h.html