Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What does the "english for specific purposes" mean

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English for Specific Purposes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: What does the "english for specific purposes" mean Reply with quote

Hello everyone, i have a lil problem. My teacher asked me what does the english for specific purposes mean. I need the definition. Anybody can help me, please ? Sad
serendipity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"English for a specific purpose" used to primarily comprise technical English - for example, technicians would be required to read and understand manuals and to write simple instructions, nurses would have to be able to understand prescriptions, engineers would have to be able to interpret datasheets - but then the concept widened in scope. These days, English for a specific purpose" refers to all levels of the language where only a fraction of general communicative ability is required within a certain context.
Dodger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: ESP Reply with quote

Excuse me, your English teacher asked you what English for Specific Purposes means?

Maybe that's what happens when you pay $5 for a "CELTA" teacher to give you an English lesson.

Or maybe your "teacher" got her CELTA degree via Adobe Photoshop!
Don McChesney

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English for specific purposes or ESP needs not only social English for normal communications, but the technical language for specific occupations.
So Medical English means learning to communicate with patients, relatives, and health professionals at all levels, and to know, understand, and use medical terminology and documentations.
rryz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simple, ESP means a short language programme to prepare you with the language that you need in your daily activity. The main focus is language for communicating skill
tigertiger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rryz wrote:
simple, ESP means a short language programme to prepare you with the language that you need in your daily activity. The main focus is language for communicating skill

ESP - Extra Sensory Percieption - as you sometimes need to be clairevoyant during the needs analysis with some clients Sad . And the ability to telekinetically transfer all the language skills from your brain to theirs in a demonstration of applying 'Instant English' (just add water). Sad

As they want to become Advanced learners in 3 months, even though they are only elementary, and never do homework. Confused

Real executives don't need lessons or homework Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English for Specific Purposes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: