delicious

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Eden1105

delicious

Post by Eden1105 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:05 pm

How often do kids under 10 say "How delicious" when they make comments about food? for example, does a girl tends to say " oh, chicken, How delicious!" when she see chicken on the dinner table? Do kids often use that expression?

Thanks!

Eden

sbourque

Post by sbourque » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:05 am

I can't recall my daughter ever saying "delicious", and she's 30 now. If it was something she liked, she might say "yum." I think kids under 10 are more likely to tell you what they DON'T like:
Eeeew, gross!
Not ____ again!
Bleah!

or if they are polite:
Don't give me any of THAT!

Eden1105

How delicious

Post by Eden1105 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:27 pm

Thanks for your explainations. They're so helpful. Actually I happened to come across a kids' book for teaching English to non-native speakers. "How delicious" is filled in this book whenever a kid makes a comment on food they're eating, or are to eat, like "Peas, how delicious! Chocolate cake. How delicious! or "How delicious" is used independently to make the comment on a dinner. or " Yum-yum! Yum-yum-yum! How delicious"
Do native English- speaking kids usually put "how" and "delicious" together to express sth is good or great?
Eden

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:05 pm

I can't think of any kid I've known who would use "how delicious" to show they liked some food. They might say:

"Wow, this tastes great!" or "Can I have some more?" or "This tastes good." or just "Mmmm delicious."

tigertiger

Post by tigertiger » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:15 am

In the part of UK I grew up 'how delicious' would only have been used sarcastically, but tone of voice would be that of disgust.

Perhaps todays kids would be more direct
"how delicious; NOT!'