2006 International Symposium on EMP, Beijing, China

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

wxnsfl-6

2006 International Symposium on EMP, Beijing, China

Post by wxnsfl-6 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:10 pm

Hello,
The following is an announcement for 2006 International sympsoium on English for Medical purposes. Welcome those intersted in coming to China to present your papers.

Call For Papers & Participants

The Chinese Society of Foreign Languages for Medical Sciences is pleased to announce “2006 International Symposium on English for Medical Purposes” to be held from July 18 to 19, 2006, Beijing, P. R. China.

Teachers, researchers, medical practitioners and other professionals from universities, companies working in or related to this field are welcomed to attend this grand event. Some academics will be invited to deliver keynote speech at the symposium.

Topics

Papers are invited to present the latest developments and ideas in medical English language teaching and research. The following topics are particularly welcome:

1) Curriculum design for the programs of English for Medical Purposes
2) Designing and reforming of syllabus for English for Medical Purposes
3) Compiling and using of English textbooks for medical students in China
4) Translation practice and theory in English for Medical Purposes
5) Reforming of teaching English for Medical Purposes in medical schools
6) Linguistics in teaching and research of English for Medical Purposes
7) Methodology and pedagogy in teaching English for Medical Purposes
8) Using of Medical Journals in the class of English for medical Purposes

Other topics are welcomed , too.

For more information, please visit the following site:
http://unit.xjtu.edu.cn/yyb/emp/

Wenxin Nie, Associate Professor
School of Foreign Languages
Xi'an Jiaotong University
Xi'a, Shaanxi
P. R. China
[email protected]

M.Hull

symposium in China 2006

Post by M.Hull » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:27 am

Well, what welcome news. I look forward to attending, again. The last Symposium was a wonderful place to meet new friends and explore new ideas.

Melodie Hull,
Canada

Angel Molina Montero

Post by Angel Molina Montero » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:19 pm

Hello everybody, I am new in this forum and I hope to get a lot of experience in this place. I am quite young, just 33.
I think this symposium would be a great sapce to learn many things reagarding the teaching of medical ESP. It is too bad that I do not have the chance to attend this event since I can not afford my trip or the staying.
Maybe some day I could earn enough money to run the expenses by my own.
Any way I would really appreciate any experience obtained in this symposium to be transmitted to me.
I am really interested in motivating medical students using authentic and new medical texts, so that stuedents can learn the language and medical contents or discoveries, which will be very useful in their future proffesional life.
Thanks
A cuban young teacher who loves teaching ESP

M.Hull

2006 Chinese EMP Symposium

Post by M.Hull » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:39 pm

Hello, everyone:
I just want to take a moment to say the 2006 International Symposium on English for Medical Purposes in Beijing was absolutely fantastic this year! EMP faculty from a wide number of Chinese universities presented papers and research along with a few international guests. The changes and the progress being made in China's English for Medical Purposes teaching methods and goals in just the last 2 years since I've been there is really quite phenomenal. The opportunity to dialogue and go forward together in this exciting ESP field was exceptional.

I want to also say how disappointing it was to see so few of you who read and write on EMP/English for Nursing on Dave's ESL Cafe claiming to be dedicated to doing a 'great' job teaching doctors, nurses and medical professionals Enlgish and yet missing opportunities like this for your own professional development. Where were you?

Melodie
Canada

mesmark

Post by mesmark » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:45 am

Well, dedication and devotion are two different things. I'm dedicated to teaching and trying to do the best job that I can in all areas that I teach which includes medical ESP, but I have other obligations. I was actually doing reasearch and reading through research articles for my masters course in applied linguistics.

It's great that the symposium went well and a shame to have missed it.

M.Hull

dedication to studies

Post by M.Hull » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:39 am

Hi, 'mesmark':
Please know I wasn't specifically referring to you when I wrote my last post wondering where all the EMP teachers were. As an academic myself, I applaud your dedication and commitment to your field. Honestly. But as a professional you must agree that we are all 'supposed' to be involved in some sort of professional development or continuing education so that we might teach to the highest standards and work towards successful learner outcomes. That is why I posed the question.

Hope all is well with you, otherwise? I hear you also had a fantastic English for Medical/English for Nurses conference in Japan about 2 weeks prior to one in Beijing. I wonder how that was?

Bye for now...
Melodie in Canada [/i]