ENGLISH FOR TOURISM TRAINING PROGRAM FOR LOCAL TOUR GUIDES

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

paisan

ENGLISH FOR TOURISM TRAINING PROGRAM FOR LOCAL TOUR GUIDES

Post by paisan » Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:02 am

To members of esl

I am doing a research study on English for tourism training program for local tour guides in Krabi, Thailand, and I am searching for some related research studies on this topic, but there seems to be nobody does the reseach like that ( about the training program or localized curriculum of ESP). Anyone does see something about this, please let me know. Thanks.Paisan

peggy

Re:training for the local guide

Post by peggy » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:06 am

hello,
I guess you'd like to do the research in English. Why not try to find some course books, training plans or educational curriculums designed by the local guides-training authority? Maybe such materials were written in the local language, you can just work out some principles and inner regulations for your research.

Cancun Mark

English for Tour Guides

Post by Cancun Mark » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:32 pm

I went through the same problem when I started training marina tour guides here in Cancun. There's no specific literature on the subject. I even talked to a Cambridge University Press rep, and she found nothing in their catalog I could use.

All I could do was research the fundamentals for creating ESP courses, and start from scratch. In time I just took the plunge and talked to the guides themselves, listened to those who had a better grip of the language, took my notes and put it all together.

You have to consider their L2 level and educational background when designing the activities. Scheduling sessions is also an additional challenge.

To date I have accumulated some experience in a limited number of areas in Tourism, but it is always going the unbeaten path.

M.Hull

Research Studies for ESL?

Post by M.Hull » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:20 pm

Hi, everyone:
You can find many, many journal articles and evidence of research on-line at the Internet TESL Journal website, http://iteslj.org.html . I think you will find what you are looking for.
Cancun, Mike... I, too taught in Cancun at one of the Tech Universities. There are many courses and workbooks available for English for Tourism and English for the Hospitality Industry, if you search. Just check with the bookstores at the universidades or ask their English Departments what they are using. Harmon Hall probably has that stuff, too, if you're interested.

Bye-bye from Canada
Melodie