Love for literature

Forum for teachers/tutors to find and suggest worthy works and materials

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

hushui

Love for literature

Post by hushui » Wed May 10, 2006 11:00 am

I'm an English major from China. I just found it strange that nowadays many people dislike literature. They think books are boring and they cannot calm down to read books writen in both English and Chinese. One reason may be that there are not many books worth reading recently. However, we are not that fond of literature any more. To be honest, I have little time to read books since I'm a senior. Is there anything we can do to rebuild our love towards literature? :roll:

delfinotenero

advices

Post by delfinotenero » Wed May 10, 2006 6:44 pm

hi....I'm an italian girl and my dream is to became an interpreter, I'd like to study English and Chinese, do you think is a good idea?I know that your language is very difficul, but it's full of charm and I like it........I also want to travel a lot and do you think I will have a good future? PLEASE give me some advices, next year I have to go to the university and I won't to do a wrog choose...........thank you by by

hushui

Post by hushui » Fri May 12, 2006 9:06 am

:D I'm really very happy that you are interested in Chinese. My advice for you is since Chineses is considered to be the most difficult language to learn in the world, you should be ready to suffer a lot in learning it. This language does not have gendre, tense, sex etc. Some people even thind it doesn't have grammar at all. All of these "grammar" are reflected in the meanings. And we have some odd collocations. However, after you pick up it, you will enjoy it.
By the way, our acient poetry is marvoulous, but it's a pity it loses itself in translation. If you can, enjoy those sounds and rhysms and see the English version.
8)