Native like pronunciation

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Guoxiaomi8491

Native like pronunciation

Post by Guoxiaomi8491 » Thu May 11, 2006 7:48 am

Some say it's really take great efforts for non-native speaker develop natural sounding English. But people with excellent oral Engish do exist around us. Can we aquire native like English through imitation?

Zimmermann

Post by Zimmermann » Sat Jun 10, 2006 1:51 am

This is a late reply but I just started looking at these boards. I think it is possible to sound like a native speaker but it takes a fair bit of work. i am originally Dutch and after 23 years, some people still notice a slight accent. Most people i meet ask me if I am South-African. Anyway, a few years ago I produced a video programme called “Practise English Pronunciation with Luke”. It shows with hand movements how to produce the sounds that most learners have difficulty with. It has helped a lot of Asian students. You can get a copy from my website - englishwithluke.com. Have a look. Good luck.
Last edited by Zimmermann on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:50 am

Zimmermann wrote:This is a late reply but I just started looking at these boards. I think it is possible to sound like a native speaker but it takes a fair bit of work. i am originally Dutch and after 23 years, some people still notice a slight accent. Most people i meet ask me if I am South-African. Anyway, a few years ago I found this great video programme called “Practise English Pronunciation with Luke”. It shows with hand movements how to produce the sounds that most learners have difficulty with. I can’t remember what his surname is but the website is englishwithluke.com. Have a look. Good luck.
Uh...perhaps you've met the Luke Zimmermann guy? The one that posted here and mentioned his website?
http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/teacher/v ... php?t=5572

Zimmermann

Post by Zimmermann » Sat Jun 10, 2006 3:07 am

Point taken. I have changed the message. hope you can change yours. Thanks.
Luke
Last edited by Zimmermann on Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Jun 10, 2006 7:09 am

Tell your friend it's always better to tell the truth.