Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Begining Business English Class

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jmacao

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Begining Business English Class Reply with quote

I am a new teacher and I am teaching Businees English in Macao. My class is composed of begining to intermidate level students and I am looking for a great text to use in class. The class is a short 30 hour course which requires me to move along quickly. Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.
eslweb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Business Text Reply with quote

If they're office workers I'd definitetly recommend Market Leader, it's much better than any of the other books I've seen. However if they're not expected to do so much writing, consider some conversation books or general English books. New Headway is good for adult learners.

James

P.S. There's more info on the Market leader book at my Website http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/index.htm and a few resources, which you may find handy.
Jmacao

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips James. I will check out the site. I am sure I will have more questions later.

JMacau
tigertiger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Market Leader

Good for commerical people and HR Admin types.

Engineers find it tiresome (from my experience).

If you want to get through in 30 hours you will need to either assgin all the listeneing and reading as homework, or skip the case studies.
eslweb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Engineers... Reply with quote

tigertiger wrote:
Market Leader

That doesn't entirely surprise me and in my experience a lot of engineers find the whole concept of business and marketing tiresome... Laughing

With these engineers did you use a general English book or is there a better book out there for that market? Also what kind of engineers were they e.g. Software engineers, civil etc....
tigertiger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Engineers... Reply with quote

eslweb wrote:
tigertiger wrote:
Market Leader

That doesn't entirely surprise me and in my experience a lot of engineers find the whole concept of business and marketing tiresome... Laughing

With these engineers did you use a general English book or is there a better book out there for that market? Also what kind of engineers were they e.g. Software engineers, civil etc....

The people I work for give us market leader, although another text would be much better.
Any ideas
Question Question

I find all engineers tiresome Laughing
Electrical mechanical in my case. Civil actually are not too bad. Perhaps becuase they have to be more commercially aware if they want to get promoted.

Although software engineers think they are Neo, and want to download the data directly into their cerebral cortex. They usually fail. I find that they don't want to do homework as they work all hours.

Some engineers want to treat language as a science (not an art) and codify everything, forgeting to learn to communicate along the way. Laughing
emile

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I find all engineers tiresome

<ahem> As an ESL trainer with a degree in electronic engineering, I'll try to ignore that one.

Quote:
software engineers think they are Neo

Ouch! Another one! As an e-learning consultant, I'll ignore that one too!

Besides, I am Neo.

my site: www.roadtogrammar.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Business English All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: