how to choose a teacher ?

<b> Forum for teachers interested in discussing ESL, multiculturalism and teaching </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

lnilva

how to choose a teacher ?

Post by lnilva » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:48 am

I am trying to choose a private ESL teacher for my daughter.
There are about a dozen local ads. The question is "how to choose a teacher"
Lets assume that his/her native tongue is English.
Lets further assume that the formal ESL credentials are in place.
Any ideas what questions to ask and how to judge possible answers?

Thank you.

rusmeister

Post by rusmeister » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:00 am

Well, you could ask for a few specific examples of what they intend to teach and how. If their answers include of knowledgeable mix of grammar (specifics!) and usage (the 4 skills - speaking, writing, etc) you're probably OK. If they talk mostly about games and fun, or don't show much knowledge of their own grammar, caveat emptor!

For example, how would you teach the Present Perfect tense - particularly its meaning and common situations when it's used.

What textbook do you propose using? What kind of homework load can we expect? (There should absolutely be some kind of repetition of concepts outside of lessons!)

And so on...

Senorita Daniels

Post by Senorita Daniels » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:44 pm

At the school I work at, when we decide which teacher each student will get the next year, we look at the teaching styles and who can be the most help to them. Some of the elementary teachers have special licensing in special needs or ESL, so they would be placed first. Maybe you could ask to see what the classes are like with the teachers and see whose style would be better for your child. Does your daughter need a more structured environment or would she be fine with an easy going teacher. How strict is the teacher if there is a problem, such as the homework isn't finished.

sophica

Post by sophica » Sat May 14, 2011 3:57 am

Hi, here are few questions to ask in interview,
1. experience of private tutor
2. timing
3. cost to tutor/hour.

There are many resources to hire a private tutor. Well, my suggestions would be surf net and find a personal tutor for teaching. tutorz.com is good one, which i used recently. Highly recommendable. All the Best.