Discourse? H E L P!!!!

<b>Forum for teachers teaching TOEFL </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

lilbugger

Discourse? H E L P!!!!

Post by lilbugger » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:38 pm

Is anybody out there that can help me, I have just been given another assignment and Im struggling with the bit of this assignment I thought would be easy... but the following sentences together in order.. if you can help please please do. Then I have to go off and say why, but that's later - first things first...

a) The pattern is changing: the power of the chiefs and the emirs is being eroded by the politicians, while the business tycoons are emerging as a new aristocracy.

b) There, the French, with their zeal for exporting French civilization, left an isolated elite, which was more French than African, and largely divorced from the populace.

c) Literature, both in English and the Nigerian languages, has flourished here as in no other African country; so have drama, music and sculpture(no full stop)

d) Nigeria is more confidently African than its ex-French neighbours, like the Ivory Coast or Benin.

e) But, even in change, it remains completely Nigerian.

f) In those countries, much of the administration and most of thebig business are still in French hands; hotels, small butchers' shops and cafes are owned by French people.

g) Government at the local level. which is the level that matters to people, is shaped by traditional institutions.

h) Nigerian life, on the other hand, is African in all departments and at all levels.

I keep getting myself in a muddle, please please please help if you can!

cheers muchly, a newbie to Dave's cafe!

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:20 am

How does this read to you?

d) Nigeria is more confidently African than its ex-French neighbors, like the Ivory Coast or Benin. f) In those countries, much of the administration and most of the big business are still in French hands; hotels, small butchers' shops and cafes are owned by French people. b) There, the French, with their zeal for exporting French civilization, left an isolated elite, which was more French than African, and largely divorced from the populace. h) Nigerian life, on the other hand, is African in all departments and at all levels. c) Literature, both in English and the Nigerian languages, has flourished here as in no other African country; so have drama, music and sculpture. g) Government at the local level, which is the level that matters to people, is shaped by traditional institutions. a) The pattern is changing: the power of the chiefs and the emirs is being eroded by the politicians, while the business tycoons are emerging as a new aristocracy. e) But, even in change, it remains completely Nigerian.

lilbugger

Post by lilbugger » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:56 am

A lot better than the version I came up with last night, thanks - I'll give it a go and see if all the links tally up...

:D