teaching english for nursing

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

ssean

teaching english for nursing

Post by ssean » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:15 am

for the last few years i've been teaching english for nursing purposes here in New Zealand and i've been dealing mostly with young chinese women who have been trained and have had some experience nursing in their native country and are looking to find employment and residency overseas.
recently, i've been asked to write a training module, like an overview of the course which could be used by our school to promote the course overseas.
although i have had no experience as a nurse, i am a well qualified english teacher. but what has occurred to me while i've been teaching this bridging course is the importance of cultural awareness for people in the health industry.
and while i can negotiate my way around the english component of the course, i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas about how to introduce the idea of cultural sensitivity relating to concepts such as multiculturalism and whether you agree with my assessment of the importance of cultural awareness. cheers