Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book suggestions for ESL students
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pravko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually teach adult or high school students and regardless of their level I try to give them real, not simplified texts. First they translate short extracts, even one-liners, jokes. If that is elementary level I give them a few hints before they read. I never take big novels and if a novel is worth reading I choose only a part, sometimes a few pages. This way we can take care of all valuable lexis and grammar in the text, when finishing we can discuss it.
Almost every novel has at least a few pages of "action". You better choose them youself, you shold feel that you can awake students' interast in this subject and lead the discussion. Some newspaper articles are good as well. Just keep making notes while reding something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Literature All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: