Multicultural Education

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bruna

Multicultural Education

Post by bruna » Tue May 23, 2006 4:18 pm

I am trying to find someone who can help me to answer to the
question "How teachers can promote multicultural education in the
English classroom?"
I would like to know your experiences in the class.
Thank you!!!!!!!

sbourque

Post by sbourque » Wed May 24, 2006 3:53 am

Try Googling "promoting multicultural education" and see what you come up with. It's become a buzzword (buzzphrase?)in U.S. education lately.

michael drummond

teaching resource for mid level to established students

Post by michael drummond » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:48 am

reetings,

I would like to bring to everyone's attention a very interesting and powerful resource: http://www.democracynow.org/.

What you will find is that they present a discussion of current social topics with the complete transcript in the same page.

On this site on the homepage, look on hte left column that says 'archives' and then click on 'browse archives by date'. Once there, click, for example, on May 2006, then click on Headlines for May 31, 2006. You will then find that the day's news is read with all the transcripts below...

This site's host is Amy Goodman. Her pronunciation of English is slow, clear and perfect for more advanced students...

The site is full of these transcripts and video files. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on the use of this resource.

Best regards.

Michael

kungzoo

Post by kungzoo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:41 am

If you teach children, there's a link on my website below (look under 'K' for 'kids') which has a semi-interactive feature on multiculturalism in Britain. You could incorporate this in a class if your classroom has computer facilities.

If you teach adults, I strongly recommend the Cambridge University Press Photocopiables series. There's one on cultural identities in the workplace, with a great series of worksheets which get students thinking about how other parties might view a particular situation.

You could also set up case studies and mock courts. There have been a recent spate of shocking racially motivated murders in Britain which have been big in the news. (Not sure where you are located). If you don't know about them, a good starting point is to search for the name 'Stephen Lawrence' and find out what happened.

You could also try to incorporate themed events in your class according to world festivals, and set some homework for students to research each festival and do a mini presentation on it.

My resource site: http://esl-teaching-resources.blogspot.com

rusmeister

Post by rusmeister » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:34 am

It's not just a buzzword - it is a deliberate part of the 'global' ideology driving public education at the moment.

This ideology doesn't care whether the kids learn anything but to think of "multiculturalism" and "diversity". Doing calculations in your head in math and sentence diagramming to identify linguistic function are of little interest in what is currently called (last I heard) "Standards-based education".

Good luck. Just ask yourself why these abstract social concepts have an importance in your school requirements that far outweighs academic ones.

If it makes you curious, try reading Gatto or Stormer. I haven't written my book yet.

M.Hull

multiculturalism in education

Post by M.Hull » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:07 am

Hi, everyone:

Multiculturalism is part of Canadian culture and policy. It is a core component of Canadian public education, too. You might like the following resource pages:

Curricular Resources on Line http://www.cln.org/subjects/mc_cur.html
Instructional Skills in Multiculturalism http://www.cln.org/subjects/mc_inst.html This webpage contains a good number of links to great sites!

Hope this helps...
Melodie in Canada

rusmeister

Post by rusmeister » Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:18 am

Right! That's what I was saying!
It's THE core component, now in most Western countries, and heavily outweighs academic requirements in public schools (this is clearest in the teacher prep programs).
The shift from the school's mission of imparting knowledge to one of social engineering of children (including overriding parental values and beliefs).

starchild

Post by starchild » Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:58 pm

Hi Everone,

I'm an English and TESL teacher in Australia and believe that one should never ignore the fact that, at any one time, there are a varityof diverse cultures, beliefs and practices represented in the classroom. Whether or not "Multiculturalism" should be THE core component to an educational programme or form a part of it, is not the point. We must design environments that encourage our students to learn and operate in a policy of INCLUSION rather than EXCLUSION. If this means being sensative to other cultures then this is what we have to do.

One little trick that I find useful when trying to create a sense of "multiculturalism," is setting activities in the classroom that represent a multitude of cultures. For example: when I get students to practice conversational English by "filling in speech bubbles at a restaurant in Australia," I try to get pictures of REAL Australians, rather than the stereotypical "cork-hatted, Anglo, Australians," so that my students are aware of the cultural diversity that inhabits Australia, and thus build up a more realistic impression of the people who live there.

The simple things are often the most effective!