glove puppets

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

EFLwithlittleones

glove puppets

Post by EFLwithlittleones » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:54 pm

I'm surprised I don't see more postings about the use of glove puppets as teaching aids. Admittedly my students are older (kindergarten) but I've used puppets in an English speaking nursery setting before and found the younger children to be just as interested.

If you haven't used a glove puppet before then practice with one at home first so you can find a voice for it and a basic character. It's surprising how quickly the puppet when used on a daily basis develops it's own personality. The one I use now is a rather empty headed dalmation puppy glove puppet called Judidog who gets most things wrong, stutters, cries easily and wouldn't say boo to a goose. The children love her and are always keen to correct her mistakes (sic).

She is used for checking written language forms with the children on the w/b and simple stories with storyboards; Judidog At The Beach' where she finds an enormous yellow crab (made from 2 pieces of card stapled together and stuffed with newspaper) which chases her along the sand; 'Judidog Flies A Kite; 'Judidog At the Market'; 'Judidog Finds A Balloon'. You can see the styling: Once you've got your puppet named you can start spinning off simple story titles and select the language to go with it. Make the props and you're away...