delete post

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

mhallpike

delete post

Post by mhallpike » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:35 am

delete post
Last edited by mhallpike on Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:03 pm

Diciphering your second sentence is a tall order! :D

Are you saying you 1) want the students to take the perspective of someone who adheres to a particular theory or element of one and then write about it as they imagine that person would. While writing about it furthermore, you want them to include how the theory or element would be applied in reality. And 2) you want to know what cross-cultural research has to say about their likely challenges?

An interesting question if this is it. I don't know that I've encountered anything so specific but imagine that there must be some literature out there somewhere. Perhaps you will have better luck if you just search for more general cross cultural studies and then extrapolate the findings into your unique setting. Or it might be useful to look at literature that decribes cross cultural differences between worker and employee relationships. I know from experience working with east asian students that their imagined interactions between workers and employees will be very different from what would be expected in an American context. But this may not be helpful to you. If you find anything I'd be curious to here what it says, however. Good luck.

sbourque

Post by sbourque » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:50 pm

I'm also not sure what exactly you are aiming at, but I'll share some experiences I had while teaching a multinational group of undergraduate business majors a few years ago. I was teaching a management course where a final research paper was required, and was trying to figure out a way to avoid the usual over-reliance on articles taken verbatim from Internet and other sources.

I solved this by asking them to write a mini-case study of 5-6 pages, based either on their own experience or that of someone they knew well. I gave them an outline: background, situation/problem, outcome, and comments. In the "comments" section they were to apply what they had learned about management theory during the course to the situation described. Did the manager use good motivational techniques to inspire the workers? Did the intern figure out a way to satisfy the demands of the two supervisors she worked for? Students were encouraged to say what SHOULD have happened. All of the case studies were of bad management, as it turned out, and students were happy to give advice on what should have been done.

This assignment worked really well. Most students did an excellent job of identifying management theories that applied to their specific situations. I also had them exchange and read each others' papers, and they were also good at identifying two or three papers that had not really addressed problems of management, but rather of finance or marketing. They also told me that it was more interesting to them to write about their personal experiences, rather than about an abstract teacher-assigned topic.