Christian ESL

<b> Forum for the discussion of everything ESP </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

kcluv

Christian ESL

Post by kcluv » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:29 pm

A few years ago when I began searching out Christian ESL related sites I felt scattered. I remember Google searching everywhere. We hope this site pulls the resources together into one place for you. www.ChristianESL.com attempts to provide resources, directories, discussions forums, jobs, and more.

Andrew Patterson

Post by Andrew Patterson » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:27 pm

I remember one bloke I worked with in Turkey got sacked for proselytising after continually taking his bible into conversation classes despite being warned not to do so.

sbourque

Post by sbourque » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:56 pm

When I went to Poland in 1990, there were some foreign churches (LDS and a Bible-Belt Protestant group in Warsaw) offering free English lessons as a way to attract potential new members. But why would you need a special Christian ESL site? Unless it's to teach clergy from non-English speaking countries who are coming to the U.S. to staff the churches here, which I understand is the case with some Catholic inner-city parishes.

Andrew Patterson

Post by Andrew Patterson » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:46 pm

sbourque wrote:When I went to Poland in 1990, there were some foreign churches (LDS and a Bible-Belt Protestant group in Warsaw) offering free English lessons as a way to attract potential new members. But why would you need a special Christian ESL site? Unless it's to teach clergy from non-English speaking countries who are coming to the U.S. to staff the churches here, which I understand is the case with some Catholic inner-city parishes.
Well, you're always going to get types that want faith-based education. What gets me about kcluv is that they have made four posts advertising their site which appears to be a for profit site in the free forums instead of paying for an advert. Not quite sure if that quite breaks the "Thou shalt not steal" commandment but it would appear to be spamming.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:51 pm

Andrew Patterson wrote:
sbourque wrote:When I went to Poland in 1990, there were some foreign churches (LDS and a Bible-Belt Protestant group in Warsaw) offering free English lessons as a way to attract potential new members. But why would you need a special Christian ESL site? Unless it's to teach clergy from non-English speaking countries who are coming to the U.S. to staff the churches here, which I understand is the case with some Catholic inner-city parishes.
Well, you're always going to get types that want faith-based education. What gets me about kcluv is that they have made four posts advertising their site which appears to be a for profit site in the free forums instead of paying for an advert. Not quite sure if that quite breaks the "Thou shalt not steal" commandment but it would appear to be spamming.
Actually, they made more and I deleted some. I was trying to not let my personal prejudices get in the way, and I was under the impression that it was free. Is this not the case?

Andrew Patterson

Post by Andrew Patterson » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:53 pm

Lorikeet wrote:Actually, they made more and I deleted some. I was trying to not let my personal prejudices get in the way, and I was under the impression that it was free. Is this not the case?
Depends how you mean. Much of the site is free but there is a section marked "storefront" and another "donate".

If someone had say mentioned something that had come up in their own forum and posted it here, fair enough but this person has only made posts promoting the site. I presume it is the site owner.