A kid who won`t speak!

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

Baxter

A kid who won`t speak!

Post by Baxter » Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:29 am

I`m teaching english to 2 german kids (2 and 5) - the lessons are really for the 5 year old and his sister just sits in. He knows some words but refuses to speak them to me, I`ve spent a total of 9 hours with him (in 90 minute) blocks. How can I get him to speak? The lessons are at his house so there are many of his toys around, so it`s not like I can entice him with something because so many other toys are within reach. He is incredibly stubborn - I`m at the stage where I want to take a chocolate bar in and start eating it and bribe him into saying `chocolate` to get some!. I have not done any professional University training in this respect and would appreciate any help. Thanks :?

ASturgis

Stubborn in any language!

Post by ASturgis » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:33 pm

I work with preschool kids, too, and there is no more stubborn age, but I do love them. You could try enticing him with some toy cars and getting him to crash them into each other making sounds like bam! crash! or whatever car accidents sound like in German. Just getting him to utter anything is probably a start. Then he could phone the police using a toy telephone, etc. He might forget he doesn't want to talk! Good luck, and don't discount the chocolate approach!

shannonsensei

Post by shannonsensei » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:31 pm

you've only had 6 lessons with him. this may not be enough time for him to feel comfortable around you yet. i wouldn't worry about it too much. i've had kids not speak for much longer than this. :D
however, i understand the feeling like you're talking to yourself. perhaps you can try playing games where he can demonstrate english knowledge without actually having to speak. for example, have him touch the flashcard that you tell him to touch. or ask him to give you the red car, put the blue block on top. that sort of thing.
you can also try using a puppet. sometimes kids have an easier time talking to a puppet than they do to a teacher.
love,
shannon

diudiusummer

Silent period

Post by diudiusummer » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:09 am

There is a silent period before children open their mouth to speak. Children tend to listen to adults and keep silent at the beginning. They are inputting the language materials to get ready to output. Then when are ready to speak, they will open their mouths.