Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christian ESL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English for Specific Purposes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcluv

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Christian ESL Reply with quote

A few years ago when I began searching out Christian ESL related sites I felt scattered. I remember Google searching everywhere. We hope this site pulls the resources together into one place for you. www.ChristianESL.com attempts to provide resources, directories, discussions forums, jobs, and more.
Andrew Patterson

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one bloke I worked with in Turkey got sacked for proselytising after continually taking his bible into conversation classes despite being warned not to do so.
sbourque

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I went to Poland in 1990, there were some foreign churches (LDS and a Bible-Belt Protestant group in Warsaw) offering free English lessons as a way to attract potential new members. But why would you need a special Christian ESL site? Unless it's to teach clergy from non-English speaking countries who are coming to the U.S. to staff the churches here, which I understand is the case with some Catholic inner-city parishes.
Andrew Patterson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbourque wrote:
When I went to Poland in 1990, there were some foreign churches (LDS and a Bible-Belt Protestant group in Warsaw) offering free English lessons as a way to attract potential new members. But why would you need a special Christian ESL site? Unless it's to teach clergy from non-English speaking countries who are coming to the U.S. to staff the churches here, which I understand is the case with some Catholic inner-city parishes.

Well, you're always going to get types that want faith-based education. What gets me about kcluv is that they have made four posts advertising their site which appears to be a for profit site in the free forums instead of paying for an advert. Not quite sure if that quite breaks the "Thou shalt not steal" commandment but it would appear to be spamming.
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Patterson wrote:
sbourque wrote:

Well, you're always going to get types that want faith-based education. What gets me about kcluv is that they have made four posts advertising their site which appears to be a for profit site in the free forums instead of paying for an advert. Not quite sure if that quite breaks the "Thou shalt not steal" commandment but it would appear to be spamming.

Actually, they made more and I deleted some. I was trying to not let my personal prejudices get in the way, and I was under the impression that it was free. Is this not the case?
Andrew Patterson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorikeet wrote:
Actually, they made more and I deleted some. I was trying to not let my personal prejudices get in the way, and I was under the impression that it was free. Is this not the case?

Depends how you mean. Much of the site is free but there is a section marked "storefront" and another "donate".

If someone had say mentioned something that had come up in their own forum and posted it here, fair enough but this person has only made posts promoting the site. I presume it is the site owner.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> English for Specific Purposes All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: