Canadian looking to TESL in Vietnam

<b> Forum for the announcement of important TESL/TEFL items and events </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

darkshanker

Canadian looking to TESL in Vietnam

Post by darkshanker » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:51 pm

Hello all,

One month ago, I arrived home from a somewhat lengthy vacation in Vietnam. I came to the realization when I got back <of course>, that my interests lie in staying there for an extended period of time. I wondered for a while about how I would manage to do this, and began to recall bits and pieces of a conversation I had with a drunken Englishman at a cafe in Hoi An. It seems that a friend of his is a well respected TESL instructor based out of HCMC, living there on a work visa. I began to play with the idea - could I, who never had any ambition to teach before this point, find a fun and exciting job teaching English as a second language? To make a long story short, I've decided that this is something I'd like to pursue, and have begun to research what it is I will need to find a job there. It would seem that for Vietnam a University degree is not a necessity, however a TESL/TEFL certificate would most likely be needed. Over the last little while, I've managed to find some information regarding various TESL/TEFL programs, but I am still lacking some direction as to what would be considered an adequate program by most employers. From what I've heard, an online TESL course is pretty much useless, due to the inability to provide the teacher with practical classroom experience, which seems valid. What I'm looking for is someone who has some TESL experience, but does not have a University degree, preferably teaching, or have taught, in Vietnam or an area of some similarity where a degree is not an issue. You may contact me here, on Yahoo messenger under the ID Darkshanker, or at my email [email protected] Thanks!! :D

L

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:09 pm

Does anyone have an idea where Darkshanker might continue looking to get some information to answer his questions?

--Lorikeet

Head Master

Where to look for TEFL raining

Post by Head Master » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:00 pm

Hey Darkshanker,

Take a look at www.TEFLofCanada.com

They have a course in Bordeaux, France

and . . .

Unlike many others TELF of Canada offers a money back guarantee.

Ajxl

Post by Ajxl » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:33 pm

Yeah, you are right man! :(

humbleman888

Post by humbleman888 » Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:57 am

Why want to go to Vietnam? Other ASEAN countries would provide better opportunities such as Malaysia & Singapore. Found that Malaysia needs lots of English teacher. For more details, go to this URL:
http://my.jobstreet.com/jobs/2006/7/s/10/302616.htm

myi-to-i

Post by myi-to-i » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:19 am

Hi there,

My name is Ruth and I am from i-to-i which is an organisation to promote meaningful travel and volunteering around the world. We offer a number of TEFL courses which include practice actually teaching. For example the 'Absolute TEFL' offers 80 hours training and 2 weeks experience. The two weeks teaching is at one of our overseas projects and the 80 hours training comprises of an Online TEFL course (40 hours), Weekend TEFL course (20 hours) and Grammar awareness module (20 hours training). You would also receive a TEFL certificate, Employers reference, Access to our job contacts database (8000+) and a six month supply of lesson plans among other benefits.

As you are interested in working in Vietnam there is also a TEFL Abroad course which lasts for 4 weeks and also leads to an internationally recognised certificate. One of the courses runs in Ho Chi Minh City which I thought might be of interest to you. The course also includes a minimum of 8 hours individual teaching experience. These courses run every month.

Hope that helps!

Ruth