American business english material

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

sabeth

American business english material

Post by sabeth » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:47 pm

Hello everyone,

I need some input here regarding EFL business material. The catch is it must be in American English. As I'm in Germany, the overwhelming majority of the material is in British English (logically enough). But the company where I work insists on American English as the company language for all presentations and correspondence. The only time British English is allowed is for publications exclusively for Great Britain.

Our central training organization claims that they've looked into it, and the only material available in American English is ESL and not EFL. I can't believe that there is no decent business material in the US!

There is some excellent material here in BE, but it gets frustrating to correct my students' e-mails and presentations for 'typos' when they say 'but in the book it's written 'emphasise and not emphasize'. And explaining that you can't ask your business partner for a rubber or a ball pen. And telling them that our forwarders have trucks and not lorries. And so on and so on and so on.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!