Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thick Indian Accents

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marie10001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Thick Indian Accents Reply with quote

I am trying to find audio resources on Indian-English accents. I am teaching a workshop on how to listen and understand Indian English to Chinese students. I would like to expose the students to the Indo-English accent so that the phone conversations between the two parties isn't so difficult to understand.

This website is pretty good but I need more material and heavier accents.
http://www.ku.edu/~idea/asia/india/india.htm

Any help is appreciated!

Marie
stromfi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marie,

How about using some British movies and/or TV shows? You could use some clips from "East is East" or "Bend it Like Beckham", just to name a few.

Stromfi
Don McChesney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'Kumars' from TV are great, sure it may not be true Indian, but sure is funny, and the phrases are also worth listening too. Laughing Laughing
Marie10001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice!

I found a website that has voice recordings from countries around the world which is neat: http://www.ku.edu/~idea/asia/india/india.htm

Pride and Prejudice works well too--though I think the accents are still not heavy enough because I am able to understand everything!

Thanks!
Marie
dom64

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Indian accents Reply with quote

Another British Indian programme if you can get it, is the BBCs Goodness Gracious Me - comedy, stereotypes and accents - a great combination.
CEJ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Indian English speakers (bilinguals and native or native-like speakers of English) find American or British accents 'thick'?

Does anyone know if there is some sort of ease of intelligibility scale for accents and versions of English? I've heard in popular media that Irish accents are well accepted all around. I also know that in international settings, especially with a native speaker or native-like speaker depending on an EFL speaker to speak English, people learn quickly to neutralize their accents to something more like an international global English accent (and yes, Americans and British and Australians do start to sound more and more alike when they do this, or so I think anyway).
bgiddings

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Indian Accents Reply with quote

Hi Marie

I'm trying to help a group of Spanish students to understand the Indian accent. The page link above looks excellent. All I had found until now was this page:

http://www.gazzaro.it/accents/files/accents2.html

which just has 1 Indian sound file. If I come across any more I'l post (if it's not too late that is).

Ben
strider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is to download podcasts. (I've done this recently to get Scottish accents.)

It may be possible to get transcripts, too - try googling newspapers/magazine/TV news with Indian cities as keywords, or something like 'India news podcast' or 'bollywood podcast'.

I think that, by doing this, you are more likely to get 'real' Indian accents, rather than TV actors who imitate Indian accents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Pronunciation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: