Listening Techniques

<b>Forum for ideas on how to teach pronunciation </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

angelamm

Listening Techniques

Post by angelamm » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:57 pm

Hello,

I want to improve my students' listening by making them aware of pronunciation features in English. I teach adults in Philadelphia, so it is mostly American Standard English. My questions are:

1. Which pronunciation features are most salient to listening comprehension?

2. What techniques can I use to make learners more aware of them?

Thank you

Angela
Last edited by angelamm on Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorikeet

Re: Listening Techniques

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:54 pm

angelamm wrote: 1. Which pronunciation features are most salient to listening comprehension?

2. What techniques can I use to make learners more aware of them?

Thank you

Angela
Oh boy, Angela. This is a topic that could generate a very long response (from me at least ;) ) The first question is what English do you want to teach them to listen to? Since I teach in a program for immigrants to the United States, I concentrate on "standard" American English. I am sure the points I would make would be different if I were teaching EFL or if I were teaching "standard" British English (presuming there is such a thing :wink: .) I always let my students know that my way isn't the only way, but if they are going to live in my city, they should be able to practice and understand the way people talk here.

If your students are in a similar situation and area, I could write that long post. :D

angelamm

Listening Techniques

Post by angelamm » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:42 pm

I teach adults in Philadelphia, so it is American Standard English mostly. I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks again
Angela

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:53 pm

Well, I've done a lot of things with pronunciation and listening. I think our students have the most difficulty with the stress and intonation of American English sentences, including in particular the reductions and liaisons. I'd recommend you get a book like "Clear Speech" to see what I mean--I'm write a whole semester's worth of material on similar things.

For my students, at the beginning of the class, I explain the problem by giving them the famous sentence (It was famous when I studied linguistics in the Stone Age.) "He took off his hat." Spoken at regular native speaker speed, the students often hear "coffee" or "office". This is because we tend to link words that end with a final consonant to words that begin with a vowel. In addition, the /h/ sound before words like "he, him, his," and "her" lose the /h/ and act as though they started with a vowel. There are a lot of "rules" for linking, to show students why we say "Doncha wanna go?" for "Don't you want to go" etc.

To teach it, I usually give dictations. I dictate a sentence three times at regular speed. Then I ask them to check their papers to see if it looks like English, and to check each other. The next time I read the sentence three times again, but the second time is very weird. I read it with all the liasons and reductions intact, but at a very slow speed. It would sound crazy to anyone passing by, but it gives them a chance to see what happens. I always end with the regular speed because that's what I want them to remember. After that, I show them the answers on an overhead projector, and I ask them what's small or together (reduced or liaison) I then mark them on the overhead and we practice together. I will say that my students have often told me how useful this is, and that we should have more of them. They claim that their listening has improved. I hope it's true ;)

If you really want more detail about this let me know via private message. I wouldn't mind sharing some of my stuff if you are interested. That way no one has to try and read through this all. :twisted:

sita

Post by sita » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:03 pm

Hiya!

I encourage my students to use the www as an additional

tool at home!

I tell them to either listen to me ranting on my homepage or use this excellent and FREE :!: site

http://www.esl-lab.com/index.htm

Best wishes
Siân

costas

Re: Listening Techniques

Post by costas » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:06 pm

angelamm wrote:I teach adults in Philadelphia, so it is American Standard English mostly. I'm open for any suggestions.

Thanks again
Angela
Since you teach American English, I recommend you this website.

http://www.englishbaby.com/community/index.htm

Cheers

sita

Post by sita » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:25 am

Hiya

Use these free sites -sorry my keyboard is effed up

use these for BE:

http://www.fun2learnmore.de/modules.php ... ex&catid=2

or this one

http://www.fun2learnmore.de/modules.php ... ex&catid=2

ALL FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!: :!: :!:

please give me feedback :shock:

siân :o :x :twisted:
Last edited by sita on Fri Mar 19, 2004 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sita

Post by sita » Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:29 am

PS

American English

http://www.americanaccent.com

listen and enjoy

Siân

:D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D

Lien

Post by Lien » Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:21 pm

could you tell me how to teach pronunciation to EFL learners?