Software Review

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL computer software </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

bbondo

Software Review

Post by bbondo » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:33 pm

Hello,

I am a new first grade teacher from Boston, MA. For the first time I am teaching students who do not speak English as their primary language. At the same time, English is the primary language of about half of my students. I am struggling in my efforts to teach basic reading to both groups of kids at the same. This week I attended the NAEYC conference in Atlanta, Georgia in search of tools to help me deal with this situation.

One software product that seemed promising is a sight words website called www.sightwordswithsamson.com. I looked at the free trial and it seems well suited for my English speaking kids but I am unsure of the value with the ESL students. The trade show rep assured me that this product is widely used by ESL teachers so I was hoping to find out if anyone is familar with this product. If so, any thoughts or comments on the value it would have in my situation?

Sorry for the long-winded posting,
BB

dvasas

Post by dvasas » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:11 am

I have not seen this site before, and schools in Taiwan to my knowledge to not use it.

I played around on the lessons and it is pretty good, there is not much content but it is cheap.