Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

when to teach my daughter English

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Preschool Education
View previous topic :: View next topic  
longjianfeng71

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: when to teach my daughter English Reply with quote

my daughter is five years old now, she can't correctly pronounce "z c "and"s", can I teach her English now? what to be taught? grammar? sentence drills? words and phrases?
deborah8890

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for children, having funning in the learning of english is the most important thing, so whatever she is interested in is the best thing to be taught. Very Happy
longjianfeng71

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: no interest in anything Reply with quote

but my daughter has no interest in anything, maybe she is afraid of failure. I don't know how to motivate her to learn something. Most little kids of her age are curious to new things, but she isn't. how should I do?
Lorikeet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried making something together? Cooking? Playing? You could use English to do something that's fun for her. Do you encourage her to try, or is she afraid of letting you down?
EH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, don't worry too much about /s,z/ pronunciation at age 5. Those are later developing sounds in most kids. It's still common to have difficulty with those sounds until age 7 or so.

Just have fun with your daughter. Don't try to make too much of a lesson out of English study. Read her some fun, easy kids' books in English. Start using more English words and short phrases throughout the day--without requiring her to respond. Just modeling English is useful in the beginning. Even watching English-language cartoons together on TV and commenting on them in English ("Oh look! The dragon is flying! Where's he going...? Ack! Lightning! He better watch out!" etc.) could be useful.

Good luck,
-EH
shelleyvernon

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try playing together, also reading stories and play English songs in the home.

Here's a site with some ideas for you to try.
If it is non-threatening it will most likely work for her.
If you correct her too much you could put her off wanting to say anything so be careful!

http://www.homeenglishteacher.com

All the best
Shelley
silencedobetter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to studies, 5 is the best age to learn a new language or even up to 5 new languages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Preschool Education All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: