E-learning

<b> Forum for the discussion on how to use computers and technology in the ESL/EFL classroom </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

gaocao

E-learning

Post by gaocao » Sun Dec 10, 2006 9:37 am

I am a assisted teacher with a e-learning program. The students often do other things instead of learning. They sometimes chat on the internet. And the teacher doesn't receive the feedback from students. E-learning is effective for ones of unusual initiatives. But it is a good way as assignment.
What are the strategies to enhance their E-learning interest and initiative?
:?:

dvasas

Re: E-learning

Post by dvasas » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:10 pm

gaocao wrote:I am a assisted teacher with a e-learning program. The students often do other things instead of learning. They sometimes chat on the internet. And the teacher doesn't receive the feedback from students. E-learning is effective for ones of unusual initiatives. But it is a good way as assignment.
What program are you using? I think it depends on the program, if it is children you are working with the parents should be involved with motivation as well. Does the program grade students and let you know their marks, cause it is best to be able to track them like any other work they do.

alanfoo

Re: E-learning

Post by alanfoo » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:32 pm

gaocao wrote:I am a assisted teacher with a e-learning program. The students often do other things instead of learning. They sometimes chat on the internet. And the teacher doesn't receive the feedback from students. E-learning is effective for ones of unusual initiatives. But it is a good way as assignment.
You should try out the AGE homework generating tools and the free contents there. Its available for teachers for free through their schools.

Choose the contents or interactive modules that suit you and just copy to diskettes or pen drives for students to take home to use. Very easy. No more correcting homework for teachers.

Check it out at www.paperlesshomework.com

alan

Matty

Post by Matty » Tue May 08, 2007 5:35 pm

The students often do other things instead of learning. They sometimes chat on the internet.
I know exactly what you mean. If students have uncontrolled internet access in the classroom, there's a very strong temptation for students, especially teenagers to go onto messenger or YouTube and do anything but study English.

Apart from patrolling the computers and looking over your students' shoulders all the time, there's not really much you can do about this. I think these types of assignment are not interactive or communicative and are best set as homework to avoid wasting valuable classroom time.

For the classroom, I suggest something a little more controllable. Again, these aren't very interactive... computers suck at listening to students!

New English File provides some good CD-ROMs for Elementary, Pre-Intermediate and Intermediate levels.

Eurotalk offer a wide variety of English learning CD-ROMs that are easy to use and well put together.

And if you've got a big budget:

There's always "Rosetta Stone" - very effective!

Eurolog's "Talk to Me" and "Tell Me More" - very effective for pronunciation but not much else.