Site Search:

Banner

Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index Teacher Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

please answer my question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Material Writing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phybee_sh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: please answer my question Reply with quote

Some people say"if you have a good command of grammar and have a large vocabulary, you have learned English well." Do you agree to this idea? Why or why not?
jotham

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and no. I think if you have learned those elements, you shouldn't have trouble reading. Listening shouldn't be a problem either, for most people, unless you have trouble with pronunciation or are a lopsided visual learner. In order to write or speak well, however, you really need to write and speak so you can practice arranging those words and grammar structures, and preferably with native speakers.
emile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would personally say that there are many more elements to good English. Pronunciation, appropriateness of language and courtesy are some of them. I have come across learners who have good vocab and grammar but don't sound natural. Hence the ability to think in English without translating is important, too.

www.roadtogrammar.com
Heads Up English

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have to say "no." When we teach ESL, we pay equal attention to reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Although this doesn't occur in every lesson, over the term we work in activities to practice these skill sets. What's more, whole books have been devoted to the methodology for each skill, and discussions have raged--yes, raged--on how to teach reading, writing, speaking, and listening through discussion boards like this.

We can work grammar and vocabulary into any activity to practice one of these skills. But both are mere tools to successfully accomplish a written exercise, for example, or a role-play.

Let's look at two students, neither of whom we would consider to have yet mastered English.

Student A can speak very well. In fact, he has given a few presentations in English for work. His listening skills, though, are quite poor. In a conversation, especially a phone conversation, he often loses the thread of what is being talked about.

Student B reads the paper every morning. She keeps a journal for new vocabulary words, which she checks regularly. In a conversation, although she can understand everything, she can't get her ideas out fast enough. She is always a few steps behind the discussion, and so rarely can voice her ideas and opinions.

Language is a tool for communication, and both students have trouble achieving that end. Much more than grammar and vocabulary go into getting one's ideas across.

Chris Cotter
www.headsupenglish.com
liuyuanyuan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah,i agree the statement.because people can communicate without grammar but can't communicate without vocabulary.now,when a person grasped both of them,communicatuion with others got very easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Teacher Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Material Writing All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: