please answer my question

<b> Forum for material writers </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

phybee_sh

please answer my question

Post by phybee_sh » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:34 am

Some people say"if you have a good command of grammar and have a large vocabulary, you have learned English well." Do you agree to this idea? Why or why not?

jotham

Post by jotham » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:29 am

Yes and no. I think if you have learned those elements, you shouldn't have trouble reading. Listening shouldn't be a problem either, for most people, unless you have trouble with pronunciation or are a lopsided visual learner. In order to write or speak well, however, you really need to write and speak so you can practice arranging those words and grammar structures, and preferably with native speakers.

emile

Post by emile » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:18 am

I would personally say that there are many more elements to good English. Pronunciation, appropriateness of language and courtesy are some of them. I have come across learners who have good vocab and grammar but don't sound natural. Hence the ability to think in English without translating is important, too.

www.roadtogrammar.com

Heads Up English

Post by Heads Up English » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:17 am

I'm going to have to say "no." When we teach ESL, we pay equal attention to reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Although this doesn't occur in every lesson, over the term we work in activities to practice these skill sets. What's more, whole books have been devoted to the methodology for each skill, and discussions have raged--yes, raged--on how to teach reading, writing, speaking, and listening through discussion boards like this.

We can work grammar and vocabulary into any activity to practice one of these skills. But both are mere tools to successfully accomplish a written exercise, for example, or a role-play.

Let's look at two students, neither of whom we would consider to have yet mastered English.

Student A can speak very well. In fact, he has given a few presentations in English for work. His listening skills, though, are quite poor. In a conversation, especially a phone conversation, he often loses the thread of what is being talked about.

Student B reads the paper every morning. She keeps a journal for new vocabulary words, which she checks regularly. In a conversation, although she can understand everything, she can't get her ideas out fast enough. She is always a few steps behind the discussion, and so rarely can voice her ideas and opinions.

Language is a tool for communication, and both students have trouble achieving that end. Much more than grammar and vocabulary go into getting one's ideas across.

Chris Cotter
www.headsupenglish.com

liuyuanyuan

Post by liuyuanyuan » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:10 pm

yeah,i agree the statement.because people can communicate without grammar but can't communicate without vocabulary.now,when a person grasped both of them,communicatuion with others got very easy.