Need conversation text for LOW-level Japanese college sts.

<b> Forum for the discussion on ESL/EFL textbooks </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

petemauser

Need conversation text for LOW-level Japanese college sts.

Post by petemauser » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:55 am

I teach conversation to first-year college students lacking in both motivation and English skills. My classes are due to increase next year from once to twice a week, so I'm going to need a longer textbook than the one I'm currently using. I considered Talk a Lot, Book One, as it's advertised as a "false beginner" text, but even that looks too difficult for my students. (Most annoying is that the instructions for each activity are many times more difficult than the target content itself--what's the point?)

I'm hoping to find a book or set of two books that includes at least some of the activity instructions in Japanese, and that provides a Japanese glossary or has Japanese superscript above the difficult words. Lacking that, I'd at least like to find something a little more basic than what I generally see for university students--perhaps something similar in style to Talk a Lot, but easier. Any recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks to all.