Jobs in Australia

<b> Forum for the announcement of important TESL/TEFL items and events </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

cadkyjo

Jobs in Australia

Post by cadkyjo » Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:41 am

I am curious about the availability of jobs in Sydney. I am american, will have a work permit, and an MA in tesol. i would like to work in a uni or reputable institution such as Ihouse. Any info you could provide will be appreciated. thanks in advance

Luke Zimmermann

Post by Luke Zimmermann » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:50 am

I have just left Australia for the Middle East because the work situation is terrible for ESL teachers. I was not in Sydney but on the Gold Coast but I think the situation is similar. I do have a friend who had trouble finding secure work in Sydney.

Wages are way below teachers in the school system and there is little job security. There are some good jobs available but because they are far and few between, people stay in them for a long time. I taught full-time during 2006 but my contracts were 3 to 4 weeks at a time and the wages didn't come anywhere near covering my bills. (I have 3 dependents)

I left Australia with the idea that I will never be able to return there to live and work. So not a positive picture, but it is better to be warned.

cadkyjo

Post by cadkyjo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:13 pm

hi luke,

thanks for the warning. my wife plans to study there for a couple of years so ill have to find someway to earn money. how long have you been teaching? if you dont mind my asking, do you have a masters degree? what were the qualifications for most of the jobs.

thanks again.

derek

Luke Zimmermann

Post by Luke Zimmermann » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:05 am

Hi Derek

I have an MA in Linguistics and have been a ESL teacher for just over 20 years. If you want more info, you can have a look at my website englishwithluke.com.

Most jobs require a BA (in anything) and a recognised TESOL certificate.

I have emailed a friend of mine who just moved back to Sydney and asked him if he doesn't mind joining this discussion or email you directly. As I stated before I am from the Gold Coast and am not entirely sure whether the situation in Sydney is the same.

cadkyjo

Post by cadkyjo » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:51 pm

hi luke,

thanks again for the info. i will have an MA in Tesol when i arrive so i hope that i can come up with something.

have you decided on your next teaching destination?

regards,

derek

Luke Zimmermann

Post by Luke Zimmermann » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:45 am

I am in the United Arab Emirates and work for the Higher Colleges of Technology. Conditions are good here and the UAE is a great place to live.

Have you sent you CV to colleges in Sydney? Most of them have websites and you can email them re employment.

Regards

Luke

cadkyjo

Post by cadkyjo » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:02 pm

no, havent sent out any resumes. i ll be moving there next year so not quite time yet. thanks for the advice, though.

any concerns with safety there? how is your workload? salary? schools for kids? housing? anything interesting about the area?

hope all is well

Luke Zimmermann

Post by Luke Zimmermann » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:27 am

The UAE is a very peaceful country; in fact, we feel safer here than in Australia. The workload is OK - there are 2 semesters and we are just finishing the first one today and will have 2 weeks off. My daughter is at a private English speaking school with a British curriculum. Most private schools in the UAE are excellent. We live a very nice large house - 10 foot ceiling, a/c in every room and 4 bedrooms and a study. All this is part of the salary package and of course all tax-free. Have a look at the website, if you are interested:
http://www.hct.ac.ae/hctweb/index.asp

The area is interesting. You can also google it, if you like.

I still haven't heard from my friend in Sydney. Might email again when I get a minute.

Cheers
Luke

cadkyjo

Post by cadkyjo » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:53 pm

so the school you work at is sort of a technical college? did you get the job before you arrived, or did you interview and look for positions after you arrived? so you have about a month off total per year? what do you teach? general english? business english? how many classes do you teach a day?

sounds interesting.

so what is your nationality?

i am living in the us (chapel hill, nc) and teach at a community college. i am currently a part-time instructor (no benefits or health insurance) as it is difficult to get full-time status (one of the reasons i am planning on leaving the country). i have a diverse classroom so it can be interesting.

thanks for the info and i am enjoying conversing with you.

derek

Luke Zimmermann

Post by Luke Zimmermann » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:57 am

The HCT is a college where local Arab students study Business, IT, Graphic Design and Engineering courses. Because all courses are in English, every student does an English course alongside their subject. I work at this college: http://www.hct.ac.ae/hctweb/colleges/fmc.asp

I am an English teacher (20 hours a week) and got the job before I arrived. All teachers here do. The recruitment process is rigorous - there is along application form online (http://recruit.hct.ac.ae/apply_for_a_job.asp), a one-hour video interview and they check out 2 or 3 referees.
i am currently a part-time instructor (no benefits or health insurance) as it is difficult to get full-time status (one of the reasons i am planning on leaving the country).
I know how you feel. In Australia I had no security, no health insurance and couldn't afford holidays. The classes were great, too - up to 12 different nationalities. However, in the end you have to survive and I have 2 teen-agers at home. How many do you have?

I am originally Dutch but migrated to Australia.

This is becoming a fairly private conversation. Should we take this off-line and continue by email?

cadkyjo

Post by cadkyjo » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:44 pm

ok. my email is [email protected].

so you werent covered by national health insurance in australia? i thought everyone was?

are there art schools in your area as well that hire native english speakers?