popular songs

<b> Forum for teachers working with preschool children </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

daroz

popular songs

Post by daroz » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:36 pm

My little 5-6 year olds really like to sing. We do many of the traditional kid songs and they work very well.
I wanted to jazz up the class and introduce a popular 'adult' song or two. I'm not trying for 'School of Rock' but just wanted to have some fun and try something new. Has anyone tried this? Do you know any which are fun, catchy and appropriate?
Thanks for your suggestions!

Jimbobob

Post by Jimbobob » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:39 am

Hello/Goodbye by the beetles.

There's a bit of a dance that goes along with it.
Whenever you say the word hello, change from standing to crouching, or vice versa.

You say yes
(point away from you (you) point to your mouth (say) nod your head (yes))

I say no
(same as above, only point to yourself for I, mouth again, and then shake your head)

You say stop
(same, point away, mouth, then make a stopping motion with your hands)

I say go go go
(same as above, then kinda jog in place for the go go go)

Ohhhh no

(Shake your head like mad, kids love it)

You say goodbye
(point away, mouth, wave)

I say Hello

(Point at self, mouth, wave and crouch down)

Hello Hello

(stand back up fast, crouch down fast while waving)

I don't know why you say goodbye

(exaggeratedly shrug your shoulders, point away, mouth, wave)

I say hello

(Point at self, mouth, wave and stand back up fast)

From this point you can pretty much see where this is going. Lots of repetition and simple words in this song, and you'd be surprised how quickly the kids pick it up, especially all the little movements. I do this with preschool and first grade fairly regularly as a warmup or a closer. The extremely young children will just love doing the up and downs, and the older children will really sing the song. Once they have it down pretty well I have some fun, and start trying to trick them by moving from the crouching position at random times and see who is really paying attention. I still catch my second graders singing this every now and then, and I haven't done this song with them for a while now.

shelleyvernon

Post by shelleyvernon » Fri May 08, 2009 10:09 am

Hello there,

ABBA have also got to be one of the greatest bands for 6 year old girls. I just gave an ABBA CD to my niece for her 6th birthday and apparently they spent the entire birthday party dancing to Mamma Mia.

For something tuneful and meant to help beginners with English there are my songs here - they are v. popular with young kids. I hear back from parents that the kids play the CD unprompted, repeatedly, and sing along in loud voices!

http://www.teachingenglishgames.com/eslsongs.htm

Kind regards
Shelley

silencedobetter

Post by silencedobetter » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:22 am

Beatles' Yellow Submarine
Willie Nelson's Your Are my Sunshine