good book to help with business/meeting language/etiquette?

<b> Forum for those teaching business English </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

k9fan

good book to help with business/meeting language/etiquette?

Post by k9fan » Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:36 am

I have a tutoring client who has lived in the U.S. for many years but is not confident in her English. Her goal in hiring me is to feel more comfortable and function better at her mid-level high-tech job.

At our initial meeting she said that she doesn't know how to make herself heard in a meeting or how to represent her department in an optimal light during a presentation. She feels this is partly because she isn't confident in her English and partly because she doesn't really understand American meeting behavior.

I'm looking for resources to help me help her with the latter. For example, we agreed that I would come up with a list of common expressions that people use in meetings, things like "Could you clarify that for me?", "Let me restate that to see if I understand," even things like, "Just let me complete this thought" to stave off interruptions. She feels that with such an arsenal, she will know what to say when situations come up.

I think there must be some good resources for foreigners on meeting behavior, and perhaps even lists of expressions such as those I mentioned above. Can anyone point me to such resources?

Thanks in advance!

eslweb

Business ELT books

Post by eslweb » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:57 am

Quite a few of the book series cover this material including: Working in English (Cambridge University Press) and Market Leader (Longman). There's also another useful book by Cambridge University press called: DecisionMaker.

I have put quite a bit on my Website, which you might find useful at:
http://www.jamesabela.co.uk/bus/index.htm

James

Eric18

Great question

Post by Eric18 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:26 am

You asked a great question. The best book that I've found is called "What's Up, America" by Diane something. In a conversational and witty writing style, she covers dozens of topics about peculiar American manners, habits, and beliefs. Sometimes she exaggerates a bit to make her points clear, but she has done her homework and cites her sources - usually the Census Bureau and legitimate public opinion polls.

Good luck.

Shalom

Eric
www.compellingconversations.com